unclug - [unclug] CORRECTION! (jabber with Oracle RTC) [chris@email.unc.edu: Re: bah. forgot something.]

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Cristobal Palmer <cmpalmer AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: chris AT email.unc.edu
  • Subject: [unclug] CORRECTION! (jabber with Oracle RTC) [chris AT email.unc.edu: Re: bah. forgot something.]
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:54:56 -0500

Hallelujah! Check this out: conference.unc.edu (the Oracle RTC
product) walks, smells, and quacks like a jabber server (because it
is!) once you've got the right settings in. See the forwarded message
below for the Gaim configs needed.

My Gajim configs follow. Replace stuff in brackets, obviously.

==Account tab==
Jabber ID: [onyen]@email.unc.edu
Password: [onyen password]

==Connection==
check "Use SSL (legacy)"
check "Use custom hostname/port"
enter "conference.unc.edu" as the hostname. the port should already be
set to 5223

That should be enough to get you going. Note that a conspirator has
helped me confirm that one can initiate a MUC from gajim. :D

So, to sum up: my badmouthing of Oracle's RTC was totally off-base,
and you, dear reader, should give jabber a shot through your
[onyen]@email.unc.edu JID.

----- Forwarded message from Chris Colomb <chris AT email.unc.edu> -----