unclug - Re: [unclug] Ubuntu and openafs?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Faheem Mitha <faheem AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Ubuntu and openafs?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Alan Hoyle wrote:

Has anyone successfully set up an Ubuntu box with OpenAFS and
integrated it with the UNC campus setup? I've been thinking about
switching over from my FC5 setup, but I was wondering if anyone else
had tried it before me.

You mean as client or server? I've used the openafs client on Debian to access UNC campus servers with relatively little problems with the 2.4 kernel. Until recently, the 2.6 kernel was more problematic, but I have not really used AFS with 2.6.

The Debian AFS packages are currently actively and well maintained, so they should be preferred to installing from source. For setting up an AFS server there are configuration scripts which should work. If they don't, file a bug report.

Faheem.