unclug - Re: [unclug] A good backup program for linux...

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "John W. Sopko Jr." <sopko AT cs.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] A good backup program for linux...
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:24:54 -0400

We use Legato. I originally spec'ed this out 10 years ago and
we have not had a reason to change. I am currently the secondary
admin on Legato. To my knowledge we have never had a problem with
it. It is reasonably simple to install and very simple to manage
and is very fast since it multiplexes backups across systems.
Since you need to pay for it you get support to answer any of
your questions/problems.

We used to run the Legato server on Solaris and moved it to
a linux server again without any problems. Our Windows group
also uses a separate installation of Legato to backup there systems.

Legato was acquired by by EMC2 in October 2003.

dsandif wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good Linux backup\recovery program? There are so many out there to choose from so I would like to get input to see what folks around here like to use; pay or free. thxs.

D-