unclug - Re: [unclug] VPN client under linux and library e-journals

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] VPN client under linux and library e-journals
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:12:17 -0400

Andrew Perrin wrote:

I just installed the vpn client on my home machine. I would have expected
that the library's e-journals page would therefore give me "local" access
to online journal services, but it doesn't - I still get the proxy page.
As far as I can tell, the client is up and working:

aperrin@joehill:~$ vpnclient stat
Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.6.00 (0045)
Copyright (C) 1998-2004 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Client Type(s): Linux
Running on: Linux 2.6.8 #1 Wed Apr 13 15:58:34 EDT 2005 i686
Config file directory: /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient

I don't think its a problem with VPN. IIRC the library requires the use of their proxy (check their documentation) regardless of the VPN client. I think the reason is that the VPN is configured for split tunnelling and many resources accessible through the library proxy are in non-campus IP space. Hence traffic to them will not be going through your IP stack configured for local campus addresses.

Jeff