unclug - [unclug] why updates? an example

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Brian Payst <brian_payst AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] why updates? an example
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:27:47 -0500

A while back there was some discussion about what version to download and if it mattered if you used update 3, 2, etc.

Here's an example of when it matters - the adaptec 320RAID drivers for IBM xseries 346 servers are specific to update 3. My guess is they are compiled with that shipping kernel version. If you try to install them with an earlier update, anaconda will not recognize the SCSI drives, making it tough to install the OS.

Yes, that has been how I spent the last hour or so...
--
Brian Payst, MS
Director of Technology & Systems Support

  • [unclug] why updates? an example, Brian Payst, 12/03/2004