unclug - Re: [unclug] Redirect 80 ---> 443 with Apache? -- credentials encrypted?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Redirect 80 ---> 443 with Apache? -- credentials encrypted?
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:40:52 -0500

Joe Morris wrote:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:

<snip>
| servers. I just wanted a simple way when going to port 80 to go to
| port 443 like Jeff did. I think there is some issue in apaceh 2.x.

All you should need is the following then...

----
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:80>
RedirectMatch permanent .* https://newsitename$1
</VirtualHost>
----

All other environment variables will get inherited, so nothing else to
define inside of that virtual host container.
<snip>
Joe Morris, Web Systems Manager
Academic Technology and Networks

I hate to drudge this issue up again, but say you do the above:

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:80>
RedirectMatch permanent .* https://newsitename$1
</VirtualHost>

but your index page requires a login (via any of the auth modules, say, mod_auth_ldap for example). I notice that when I have the above virtual host set, I do indeed get the redirect but I don't see https in the address bar (or the lock icon at the bottom right of the browser) until *after* I authenticate. How can I tell if my authentication is passing through the SSL tunnel?

Thanks!
Jeff