unclug - Re: [unclug] there's penguins in the Union

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "John W. Sopko Jr." <sopko AT cs.unc.edu>
  • To: Brian Payst <brian_payst AT unc.edu>
  • Cc: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] there's penguins in the Union
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:27:57 -0500

Nice! I went over to the Union and checked it out, the systems are very
responsive. I hope you do not mind I did a ctrl-alt-backspace to reset X and convince myself they were running Xfree86. They reset fast with no problems.

How many have you deployed?

Brian Payst wrote:

They seem to have survived the first couple of days of student onslaught so I thought I'd spread the word. The new Internet kiosks in the renovated Union may look like typical Dell Windows machines, but they are actually Linux Terminal Server Project (www.ltsp.org) clients booting from the network and loading a scaled-down icewm window manager and a locked-down Mozilla Firebird. The Windows infected hard drives are disabled in the BIOS and will probably eventually be removed.

Just thought the Linux inclined on campus would like to know. If anyone wants more information on any parts of that set-up, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to sound coherent.

Brian

--
John W. Sopko Jr. University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu Computer Science Dept., CB 3175