unclug - [unclug] [Fwd: Re: [TriLUG] New LUG in the Triangle???]

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "David B. Rankin" <david.rankin AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNCLUG <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] [Fwd: Re: [TriLUG] New LUG in the Triangle???]
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 20:02:36 -0500

FYI...
--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Jon Carnes <jonc AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug AT trilug.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TriLUG] New LUG in the Triangle???
  • Date: 08 Feb 2004 12:37:52 -0500
On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 06:55, David R.Matusiak wrote:
> On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 06:32 AM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
>
> > Ok, maybe this is old news to everybody else, but it's
> > the first I've heard of it... but apparently there's
> > something of a LUG out at UNC now. I stumbled
> > across their mailing list while browsing the
> > lists.ibiblio.org site..

> > The list archives only date back to Dec-2003..
> > Something new, or have I just been in the dark?
>
> New as of December 2003 (roughly), the UNC-LUG was established as a
> channel for discussing the possibilities of site licenses for various
> Linux distros and their use on the UNC-CH campus. It is also planned
> as an avenue for UNC students, staff and faculty to build a local
> support community around Linux and work towards greater F/OSS adoption
> on campus.
>
> Not much traffic yet, tho.
> dave m.

I'll say! One month of traffic on that list == One day on the TriLUG
list. Though the list is very much on signal.

The trouble with trying to start a LUG at UNC is that there are too many
pretty girls. It's very distracting to all the geeks on campus. Of
course this is *not* a problem at NCSU... :-)

Jon Carnes (Go Wolfpack!)