typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] The Face | Neneh Cherry documentary

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: lsmith <yelmo2000 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] The Face | Neneh Cherry documentary
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 17:46:43 +0000 (UTC)

This is great! Thank you for sharing.
Maybe everyone already knows this, but Jolie, who are you?!
What is your story?
- Lani

On Thursday, March 24, 2022, 03:09:26 PM EDT, Joly MacFie <joly AT punkcast.com> wrote:

https://youtu.be/MZYWZStLM_0

When Neneh left home, at a young age, and shacked up with Ari and Nora in London, Viv Goldman arranged for her to work for me at Better Badges, which she did for a year or more. Her cheery face certainly brightened our days.

Don Cherry would occasionally appear and try to talk her into coming home to NYC. However things worked the other way and he ended up touring the UK with the Slits!

But Neneh did visit NYC, and she and Ari got turned onto rap before just about any of us. In 1980 Jack Balchin and I used to run a thing called Dub Club at the Talbot Tabernacle, which were basically cassette based sound clashes using This Heat's kit. I recall there was one 'Slits vs Flying Lizards', when the tw of them floored us with their rap expertise.

I had left the UK by the time she had her hits, and only really listening to them now, but very much I hear echoes of that original session!