typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Fashion Freakout soundtrack (Joly MacFie)

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Joly MacFie <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: perfect AT furious.com, "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Fashion Freakout soundtrack (Joly MacFie)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 14:29:03 -0500

There is, of course, a brand new Ari record that has just come out. Love Forever by the New Age Steppers. Her final gift to the world.

Track by track review here:  http://louderthanwar.com/new-age-steppers-love-forever-album-review/

and in The Independent: Nick Coleman:

The last work of the Slit Ari Up, recorded right up to her death in 2010. Understandably, the whole project comes off as a sort of projection of her ribald, nervy pan-global fighterliness, whoops, clicks, sonic mudpies and all.

And as ever, it is not a deep listen. Ari was not so much an anti-formalist as a creative soul for whom form was at best a slender means, a thin net, with which to catch a moment. "The Fury of Ari" indeed. (And also "The Scheisse Song".)

The CD is available direct from On-U
http://www.on-usound.com/MusicDetails.aspx?rid=401&fid=12&brid=5