typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] The roots of Def Jam

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: timothy sasscer <timoversion AT verizon.net>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music \(Circa 1975-1980s\)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] The roots of Def Jam
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 07:56:06 -0400

J;

Thanks for the link...the review in the WSJ seems more interesting to me than
the actual book would likely be. As for the premise that Def Jam took
advantage of the convergence of punk and rap, well, of course they did. That
brief late-seventies mash-up of funk, punk, jazz, rap, art
and-your-grandmother-on-bongos was a heady time, one that still resonates
with me very much. It is not much of a stretch to connect the parallel
development of rap and punk, at least as they evolved in the U.S. Both began
independently working on the solutions to similar problems, at the same time,
in the same city, but in different laboratories. We remain grateful of their
efforts.