typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Making Waves compilation

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Deborah M Withers" <mail AT debi-rah.net>
  • To: <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Making Waves compilation
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:50:34 -0000

Hello,

I am working on an archive of UK Women's Liberation/ grassroots feminist
music with Frankie Green who was in the band Jam Today.

We are currently assembling a mass of information and our aim is to map a
massively undocumented area of women's musical creativity and resistance. We
hope the archive, which at present is hosted on a blog, will go live around
May 2011.

I am writing to ask if anyone on this list has a copy of the compilation
album 'Making Waves' which was released on Girlfriend Records in 1981.

The track listing is here:

1 Belles – You Told Me a Lie 2 Amy & The Angels – I Hate Being in Love 3
Ministry of Marriage – Twin 4 Tango Twins – Life Support 5 Nancy Boys – So
Easy 6 Sisterhood of Spit – Hold Tight 7 Gymslips – Midnight City 8
Mistakes – Romance 9 Androids of Mu – Bored Housewives 10 Guest Stars –
Sometimes the Blues is Right 11 Real Insects – In the Ruins of Your Body 12
Rock Goddess – Make My Night

It contains many of the bands that are in the archive, and the songs here are
often some of the only ones the bands recorded. At present we only have a
copy of Amy & the ANgels' 'I hate being in love' but it would be great to
have a copy of the album. We have a scan of the album cover, and reviews of
it from Spare Rib. Its hugely frustrating to not hear the music. I also
appreciate there are copyright issues at putting them on the web, and we
wouldn't do this without the prior consent of artists, but having the actual
music would be a great starting point.

If anyone can help, I'd love to hear from you,

thanks for reading

deborah

www.debi-rah.net
www.hammeronpress.net