typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Paper Mag: 10 Girl Groups to Watch

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Layla Gibbon <lpgibbon AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Paper Mag: 10 Girl Groups to Watch
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:20:04 -0700 (PDT)

Man, "you go girl" is SO TIRED! "women in rock!" endless 90s nomads, even down to the stupid catch phrases( to paraphrase allison wolfe)

Here are some all girl bands I am into right now that I don;t think have gotten much airplay on this typical girls list

1-super wild horses from australia-they are playing the hemlock in SF tomorrow (Friday) rad shouty primal garage that is more frumpies than gossip, but really more deconstructed than either of those bands! so good! they are on hozac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AN-x3alBuk&feature=player_embedded

2-Las Senoras from Madrid are great! the bratty energy of something like the Adolescents but more garage-y than that would insinuate
http://lassenoras.bandcamp.com/

3. brilliant colors, I am pretty sure have been mentioned before here? really cool mix of shop assistants esque pop and post punk girl sounds
http://www.myspace.com/brilliantcolorssanfrancisco

4. Foreign Objects from Boston! awesome grrrl inflected punk/hardcore... the singer Terry was also in a great hardcore band called the conversions that broke up. and I think someone from  the great Red Thread, another all girl HC band is in Foreign objects too
http://www.myspace.com/objectsforeign

5-Zombie Dogs! all girl HXC! yes! from brooklyn, they have an LP that just came out that I am super psyched to hear
http://www.myspace.com/zombiedogsnyc

female fronted punk bands that people may be into:
nuclear family from Albany! http://nuclearfamily69.blogspot.com/2010/06/live-in-kc.html
daylight robbery from chicago! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Rd9I6NQ54 (they have a rad X/Wipers feel... their LP is AMAZING)
Son Skull from Olympia are great, they have an LP on Perennial, and sort of have a cool North West feel, reminding me of Wipers/Dead moon without being a tribute to either of those bands.,...
Neonates from LA are great! total typical girls style, deadpan like Bush Tetras too many creeps, playful idea of music/punk...
Oh Weird TV from olympia is my favorite "new" band, the singer sorta sounds like Theresa from the Brat, but tougher.
and Burning Yellows from Portland are great too...
People would probably like Shannon and the Clams from Oakland, cool John Waters movie soundtrack style! shannon has an incredible voice.... also from oakland, the splinters! all girl. I think they toured with the coathangers maybe?? they are pretty rad... Nu Sensae and White Lung too! From Canada.

I feel like there are so many amazing girl bands out there right now,
I am sure there are bands I am forgetting... are Coasting all girl? Not sure!
I am not sure why I felt the urge to write this, I like lists I guess. I am sure I am forgetting a ton of bands I really like...

Layla