typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] any thoughts on the slits book?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: timothy sasscer <timoversion AT verizon.net>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] any thoughts on the slits book?
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 10:44:47 -0400

While I agree that it was entertaining, and in fact enlightening in regards to a fair amount of details I hadn't  known about, although I feel that over the course of the whole book it seemed to veer into too much of a fan bio, and less of a critical/historical overview.  Perhaps a bit too 'gushing' at times, for my taste.

Did I want a drier book?  Not at all, and it was a fun, light read.  I particularly welcomed the early days, getting to know much about Palmolive and how integral she was in many respects to the band, and the details of recording Cut (an album I have always loved) were likewise very much appreciated. There were very good bits on being women in that milieu, touring and just living on as much of their own terms as they could get away with. I understand much better the dynamic between Viv and Ari, and why it is unlikely for them to work together consistently.

I quite liked it, and it was certainly overdue.  I might have just edited it a bit here and there, so that there was a bit less 'Zoe'.

cheers