typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Feminist = Angry trope

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Larry Bob Roberts <larrybob AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Feminist = Angry trope
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:17:49 -0700

Interesting, even the author of the piece raises the question about "Angry"
http://juderogers.posterous.com/

"Why? Because once you ask, "Where have the angry women in rock gone?", you've already opened several cash-and-carry-sized cans of worms. What does "angry" mean, to start with? Does it relate to political activism, or a style of playing or singing? Also, is the use of the word "angry" a way of belittling the way a woman is trying to express herself? As someone who has edited a website by and largely for women in the past, I also know about the pros and cons of talking about "women" as a group. I, for one, would be happy never to see a "women in rock" special in a magazine ever again, for example. They're just people in rock and pop, man. The tits shouldn't matter."