typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] random info: Profalactics/Guys, Carambolage, Kandeggina Gang/Jo Squillo

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Sharon Cheslow <decomposition AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] random info: Profalactics/Guys, Carambolage, Kandeggina Gang/Jo Squillo
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:45:45 -0700

Title: random info: Profalactics/Guys, Carambolage, Kandeggina Ga
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I got around to updating the women in punk 1975-1980 list and there are some really great bands I've just found out about from submissions.
http://www.mindspring.com/~acheslow/AuntMary/bang/wip.html

Below are links to info and YouTube:

Profalactics:
Carolyn Crampton from this all-girl band in Boulder, who was later in The Varve in SF, wrote to me.  She has some great anecdotes about her bands on her blog...
http://cramptonarts.blogspot.com/

They're featured on a compilation of early Colorado punk bands, along with the Guys (all-girl band from Denver)...
http://www.rockymountainlow.com/

Carambolage:
from a submission...
http://www.jennywoolworth.ch/archive/bands/carambolage.html

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fRHhFbQx4rA&feature=related

http://anniesanimal.blogspot.com/2007/11/carambolage.html

Their 1st LP was released in 1980:

http://www.discogs.com/release/1095769

Their 2nd LP Eilzustellung-Exprés was released in
1982.

Kandeggina Gang:
Orrore (1980)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcoYS5NqX6s

from a submission...
Kandeggina Gang are a cult punk group in Italy, known just in underground/alternative scene in Milan.
Unfortunately, online articles are only written in italian language.

This is a link for a good text that talk about Jo Squillo (the leader of te band) and her first years in punk movement.
http://www.ondarock.it/italia/josquillo.htm

They started in late 70's inside an anrchist/left space called "Centro Sociale Santa Marta"
They are just teenagers (abot 15 years old).

Releases:

1980 - Sono Cattiva/Orrore - Cramps Records 7"

Then Jo Squillo (Giovanna Coletti) started a solo carreer, always with Kandeggina Gang members at the beginning.
The artname was Jo Squillo Electrix.

Releases:

1981 - Girls Senza Paura - 20th Secret recordings (LP with 16 tracks) here the sound go to post-punk/new wave
1983 - Avventurieri/Voodoo 7"

With these Jo punk adventure finished.

She went to mid 80's following a trashy side of Italo Disco style...
In 90's she collaborate even with Sabrina Salerno (Italian Pop Icon between 80's and 90's)

She's now presenter of a Fashion Tv Show in Italy.

You can find pictures of kandeggina Gang on Google images.
There is a myspace, there are their songs on the player but I don't think that the space is made by them (probably by some fans)
Here's a Jo fan space ... you can well see the difference from past and present. http://www.myspace.com/josquillofanspace

  • [TypicalGirls] random info: Profalactics/Guys, Carambolage, Kandeggina Gang/Jo Squillo, Sharon Cheslow, 07/10/2009