typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] The Young Lady's Post-Punk Handbook

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Mike Appelstein" <mike AT appelstein.com>
  • To: "'Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)'" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] The Young Lady's Post-Punk Handbook
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:36:48 -0600

This is actually a dude - name of Ian, I think. He's best known for the
1981 box set he offered for sale on ILXOR.com a few years back: 12 CDs worth
of gems from said year, organized by vague mood/subject matter. Looks like
he's posting many of those 1981 mixes on this new blog. Everyone should
check 'em out - he's pretty young and it's interesting to hear how he's
absorbed the sounds from that year.

But it is an interesting question, isn't it? It seems like there were women
involved in the underground scene that certainly had a role in shaping the
culture from the very beginning: Linder Sterling, early Siouxsie, the Slits,
etc. But I was a teenager in the early '80s, and I can tell you that
Chrissie Hynde and Deborah Harry had more influence on the rock culture at
large at the time. I don't mean to demean either of them - the Pretenders
had some great songs, and Blondie was consciously subverting the girl-singer
image before being subsumed by it. But very few people were listening to
the Slits or Ludus at the time beyond their immediate clique. I think
what's happened is that the rest of the world finally caught up to them (and
we can thank listmembers like Tobi and Sharon for helping to make it
happen).

- Mike

mike AT appelstein.com
http://www.appelstein.com/blog/