typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] The Bloods

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: anderson <anderstoone AT yahoo.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] The Bloods
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:44:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jolie and Hunny Pie,

That's so funny cause I rarely have time to read this digest--
I did sub to your youtube Jolie after reading you had footage from laura's benefit the other day.

I was the keyboard player of The Bloods and Adele has also been known to lurk here on occasion. We were together from late 80 to early 82 and formed after Adele and Pat had left the Contortions. Adele was the singer of The BTs for a minute in between.

We are on the first souljazz New York Noise comp. that Dan talked about. We are also in the book, I hear but I haven't seen it yet.

Button Up b/w raumen was our only single. Yes, it was about sex, namely lesbian s/m. we WERE absurdly ahead of our time as NO ONE else except Phranc was even out and certainly no one in the downtown scene save jayne county. to this day, most folks just like the funky beat and have no idea what we are on about. the b side was about the berlin squatter riots and has a kewl time signature.

I made a The Bloods MySpace page last year with some photos and some VERY rare as well as better known tunes here: http://myspace.com/thebloodsny

Together w/ Essential Logic, we did the soundtrack for the feminstanarcho film Born In Flames by Lizzie Borden. Adele stars in the film that also has a cameo by Pat Place. its available on DVD.

Along with the BTs we were asked by Joe Strummer to open up for The Clash at Bonds summer 81. We also played shows with Allen Ginsberg, Richard Hell, Johnny Thunders, R.E.M., Delta 5 and The Go-Gos and often with the Bush Tetras, Gang of Four and Pigbag.

We met the Au Pairs, The Slits, Nina Hagen, Kleenex et al at the first women's rock festival VENUS WELTKLANG in Berlin in 81. We are on the compilation for that show which is availble for download from Jenny Woolworth's site.

Lesley Woods writes about that first meeting on the liner notes of The Au Pairs live from the tempodrome.

Later that summer we recorded Button Up for the Au Pairs EXIT records/rough trade while on tour in the UK.

We had 2 bassists, Ann Phelan at first and Brenda Alderman later. its brenda on Button up/Raumen and Venus Weltklang and Ann in the youtube Pep Lounge, Hurrah's stuff and Born In Flames.

-A Toone
andersontoone.com