typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] PopMatters Lydia Lunch interview

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] PopMatters Lydia Lunch interview
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:26:41 -0400

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/59917/nothings-shocking-an-interview-with-lydia-lunch/

In Lydia's world, nothing is taboo, and in Paradoxia,
she makes no apologies for abusing herself and her body,
all in the quest for satisfaction, carnal gratification
and life's truths. "The Kern films and Paradoxia
represent a book-ending chapter in my life, where I was
addressing certain feminine issues that hadn't been
dealt with adequately," says Lunch. "I'm not sure if
they'll ever be dealt with enough. Of course I'm a
different person, and what's interesting about Paradoxia
is that I wrote the last chapter first because I was
already onto another phase of my life and my journey."

With the upcoming release of Video Hysterie, a career
spanning retrospective of Lunch's musical
collaborations, globe-trotting spoken word appearances
in the US and abroad, and the recent re-issue of
Paradoxia by Akashic Books, Lunch continues to push
people's buttons and challenge contemporary views of
female sexuality. "I'm aware of these celebrity airheads
and this whole culture of public disintegration," says
Lunch. "Throughout all of my work, films, music and
spoken word I'm trying to create and articulate a
vision, to propose a better understanding and dig deeper
into my own insanity, into feminine obsessions and
sexual psycho insanity and get into the root emotion of
what drives us as a culture. You're never going to see
me fucked up and sloppy on the street, and you're never
going to see me acting like Courtney Love, and for some
strange reason it comes down to a feeling of dignity. I
call it the Madonna theory: It shows us everything and
tells us nothing. It's pathetic but it's the paparazzi
that make it pathetic and they divert us to the point
that we'd rather see Britney's pussy than listen to
somebody that might have something urgent to say about
politics or the world in general. It's just a
distraction from everything that's so fucking awful in
the world. I find real passion shocking and I think that
way because there's so little of it that's real. Maybe
passion is the only shock factor I have left."

WWWhatsup NYC

  • [TypicalGirls] PopMatters Lydia Lunch interview, WWWhatsup, 07/19/2008