typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Viv Goldman - Lost Women of Rock FOUND!

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Helen McCookerybook <helen_mccookerybook AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Viv Goldman - Lost Women of Rock FOUND!
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:49:17 +0100 (BST)

Hi Dina,

Yes, it's out and at the crippling price of £55!
They have asked me to sign a contract for an e-version and I think I may do so on condition that a paperback version comes out too.
There was a great party a couple of months ago in London to celebrate the book, hosted byb Caroline Coon. It wasn't a launch, but a party for the women I spoke to- attended by Gaye Black (The Adverts), Gina Birch, Ana da Silva and Shirley O'Loughlin (The Raincoats), Poly Styrene, Lora Logic, Hester and Rachel from The Dollymixture, Jenny Belle Star, Karen from the Gymslips, Enid Williams from Girlschool, Vivien Goldman, Ellie from the Stinky Toys, Jane and June from the Mo-Dettes, Mavis Bayton from the Mistakes, Tessa Pollitt from The Slits, Zillah Ashworth from Rubella Ballet (who is making a film about female punks of the time), Rhoda Dakar from The Bodysnatchers, Lucy O'Brien (the writer) from the Catholic Girls, and more.
I did a little thing on my blog about it www.mccookerybook.com; you'd have to look back a couple of months.
BBC Radio 4 did a great pie=ce about it on Woman's Hour, interviewing lots of the women who were there. I'll check out and see if it's still there. Bit jet lagged at the moment, just done my first ever US gigs at the ripe old age of 50!

Nice to hear from you,

Helen

Dina Hornreich <dina.hornreich AT gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Helen...

Does this mean your book is finally out?

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Women-Music-Ashgate-Popular/dp/0754657736

(...and that us Americans have to order it from overseas?)

-Dina

"Nothing will benefit health and increase the chances for survival of life
on Earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein