typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Anyone make it to the show??

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Daniel Selzer <danselzer AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Anyone make it to the show??
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 14:32:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lani Smith <LSmith AT minlib.net> wrote:

> Anyone make it to the show in NYC with The Slits and
> Sonic Youth??

Yes. The Macarren Pool website said the show was
starting at 7:30. We got in the *cough* VIP line at
7:30 and could hear the Slits, who sounded good. By 10
minutes later when we got our tickets and got in they
were done and off the stage. I knew I was running a
bit late but figured I'd only miss like 1 song and not
the entire set. My girlfriend who likes the Slits and
is probably indifferent to Sonic Youth, who obviously
didn't have a life-changing experience upon first
hearing a Daydream Nation tape bought new at the
Livingston Mall in NJ like me, was really dissapointed
and pissed off.

Sonic Youth were good, it's hard to be objective as
they were striking lots of nostalgia chords. It's one
thing to hear an old favorite song at a show, another
to hear an entire album, played in order. Maybe at
times they sounded a bit tired, as they'd been playing
the same 70 minutes of music for the whole tour, but
there were definitely amazing moments. For their
encore they played a bunch of songs off the last album
and I'd have to say they sounded even better, maybe
they were more excited to play that! At the end
Thurston said "thank you, this is dedicated to our
hero Ari-Up and the Slits"

For more on Sonic Youth, I think I'm going to "blog"
about the show and some other stuff soon, so check
that out, and for those of you in the SF area:

http://acuterecords.com/NFREDNTS.jpg

-dan selzer
http://www.acuterecords.com/blog