typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] introduction // research on women and punk

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Laura Way" <lauraannway AT googlemail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] introduction // research on women and punk
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 23:48:13 +0100

hello everyone,

i've just joined the group, i stumbled across you whilst googling women and punk. i'm 23, play bass in a punk band and am currently doing a ma at the university of york. at the moment i'm trying to achieve my sample for my ma dissertation which is centered around interviews with women punks and was wondering whether anyone here could help me out? i'm looking for women (30yrs+ living in the UK) who self-identify as punk and it's not easy! i was wondering whether anyone might be interested? also, whether you know of anyone else (or know anyone who might)? i can give you further info if you're happy to do so.

just to let you know my intentions aren't of some snotty academic outsider (well, snotty perhaps) who is trying to create some detached theory of punk. i've grown up with punk and played in a punk band for six years or so. i love the music and i wanted to research something which was important to me. concentrating on women over 30 was because of a gap in previous research which made the experiences of these particular women invisible.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

(also, i won't just be gathering what i can from here and then leaving the group - i also wanted to join because of my musical interests to discuss musicians/bands, aside from my academic things)

thanks! laura

  • [TypicalGirls] introduction // research on women and punk, Laura Way, 06/04/2007