typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] TG Presents (draft) - BLURBS WANTED!

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Dina Hornreich" <dina.hornreich AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] TG Presents (draft) - BLURBS WANTED!
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 19:20:02 -0600

Title: The Typical Girls Listserv Presents:

The Typical Girls Listserv Presents:

Must-Have CDs for Girl Rockers!

Altered Images: “I Could Be Happy: The Best of Altered Images” collection (SONY)

Au Pairs:  "Stepping Out of Line" 2CD anthology (Castle)

The Avengers: “Died for Your Sins” live, demos, oddities, and out of print tracks (Lookout!)

Bangles: “All Over the Place” 1984 debut album reissue (SONY)

Their first full-length, and an absolutely terrific power-pop album with touches of the "paisley underground" psychedelic vibe.  Notable feature: all four of them wrote songs and sang leads (and harmonies), although all the hits they're remembered for were sung by Susanna Hoffs, and almost all of them were covers… I put "James" on a mix CD a few years ago, and half a dozen people emailed me to ask "were the Bangles always that awesome?" (Douglas Wolk)

Bush Tetras: “Boom in the Night” collection of demos and EPs 1980-83 (ROIR)

Crass: “Penis Envy” 1981 album reissue (Crass)

All their early records had a huge influence on me and every punk girl I knew. (Sharon Cheslow)

Delta 5: "Singles and Sessions 1979-81" (Kill Rock Stars)

A funky, feminist-minded group -- that featured more males than females. With two bass players and songs like the often-covered "Mind Your Own Business" and "You", Delta 5 stand out as one of the best from a scene that featured several female-friendly bands. (Bob Moore)

Essential Logic: "Fanfare in the Garden" 2CD retrospective (Kill Rock Stars)

ESG: "A South Bronx Story" retrospective (Universal Sound)

Go-Go’s: “Beauty and the Beat” 1981 debut album reissue (A&M)

From singles like "Our Lips are Sealed", which was co-written by former Specials member Terry Hall, to the fantastic b-side "How Much More?" this album features some happy, upbeat music. A song doesn't have to be angry or political to be functional, right? Plus, how many other bands had three great songwriters? (Bob Moore)

LiLiPUT: (formerly named Kleenex) self-titled 2CD complete collection (Kill Rock Stars)

This compilation is incredible, I really don't know how else to put it! I think this one stands out a bit from the other similar reissues, I can't explain why exactly. (Jamie J.)

Lene Lovich: "Stateless" 1978 album reissue (Rhino) {IMPORT VERSION IS RECOMMENDED}

If you have the chance to hear the UK mix of the Lene Lovich LP (not sure which is on the Rhino CD) it is radically different --and far superior. (Chuck Warner)

Marine Girls: “Lazy Ways/Beach Party” 1983+1981 double album reissue on 1 CD (Cooking Vinyl)

Martha and the Muffins: “Far Away in Time” collection (Caroline)

            Catchy pop rock with a slightly ironic edge to it, and Canadian content. (Tim Murphy)

Maximum Joy: "Unlimited 1979-1983" collection (Crippled Dick Hot Wax)

If you can only pick one jazz-influenced post-punk band to listen to, make sure it is Maximum Joy. (Bob Moore)

OH-OK: "The Complete Recordings" (Collectors' Choice)

The Raincoats: self-titled 1979 debut album reissue (Rough Trade)

If I had to pick a favorite band, it would be The Raincoats. Their self-titled debut is a great introduction to a band that was among the best, most clever, artsiest, and at times weirdest of the post-punk bands. >From a memorable cover of "Lola" to "The Void", which was later covered by Hole, this is one of the best "girls that rock" albums you are going to find. (Bob Moore)

The Runaways:  self-titled1976 debut album import reissue (Cherry Red UK)

A bunch of teenage girls not only singing but playing and being badass?  Yes please!  Feed me, charge me, teach me the ways of Rock n’ Roll. Oh Joan, Lita, Sandy, Jackie and Cherie. (Theresa Meire)

Siouxsie & The Banshees: “The Best Of Siouxsie and the Banshees: Sound + Vision Deluxe” 2CD+DVD (Polydor)

            I was in love with the Siouxsie singles collection when I was 15. (Marissa Magic)

The Slits: "Cut" 1979 debut album reissue (Island)

These girls are both better musicians and songwriters than the punk elite will admit, and just because there are not a dozen bands that sound just like them does not mean that they are not influential. (Bob Moore)

Patti Smith: “Horses” 2CD 1975 debut album reissue with bonus material (Arista)

Patti is one of the most free performers to ever grace this earth and she is really the original everything in my book! This record goes through every emotion and I know that the first time I heard it made me want to just go out and start a band. Plus, that voice! (Jamie J.)

Sonic Youth:  "Confusion Is Sex/Kill Yr Idols" CD (Geffen)

2 definitive 1983 releases reissued on 1 CD (note - I think EVOL is probably a better choice but it didn't come out until 1986) (Sharon Cheslow)

The Waitresses: “The Best of the Waitresses” (Polydor)

X: “Los Angeles” 1980 album reissue (Rhino)

…belong[s] at the top of any list of how to write great songs with your lover.  Only the songs survive... (Chuck Warner)

X-Ray Spex: "Germ-Free Adolescents" 1978 album reissue (Castle)

Germ Free Adolescents might be a bit repetitive with its constant theme of consumerism, but it is to this day one of the most unique sounding albums ever released. (Bob Moore)

Y Pants: 1980 self-titled EP + 1982 "Beat it Down" album reissue (Periodic Document)

Young Marble Giants: "Colossal Youth and Collected Works" 3CD collection containing 1979 album reissue with bonus material (Domino)

Various Artists: “No New York” landmark 1978 compilation reissue (Lillith) showcasing Mars, DNA (featuring Ikue Mori), Teenage Jesus & the Jerks (featuring Lydia Lunch), James Chance & The Contortions.

I'm really glad somebody told me about Lydia Lunch when I was 13. She has insane groundbreaking rock roots and has gone on to break into other multiple art forms and continues to stick to her own thing and be true to herself... which sounds really cheesy, but is really important. (Marissa Magic)

The Typical Girls listserv is an e-mail based music dialogue and discussion group for the discovery of (and appreciation for) the unknown legends in women's punk/post-punk/underground music history. Typical Girls ideally focuses on the pre-riot grrrl female innovators in music starting around 1975 and ending around 1984.