typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Bangles/Family Fodder

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Douglas Wolk <dbcloud AT panix.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Bangles/Family Fodder
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:04:02 -0400

As far as the Bangles go, I'd strongly endorse "All Over the Place"--their first full-length, and an absolutely terrific power-pop album with touches of the "paisley underground" psychedelic vibe. Notable feature: all four of them wrote songs and sang leads (and harmonies), although all the hits they're remembered for were sung by Susanna Hoffs, and almost all of them were covers. (They were _very_ good at picking covers: the two non-originals on "AOtP" are the Waves' "Going Down to Liverpool" and the Merry-Go-Round's "Live," both excellent and non-obvious choices, and their reunion album a few years ago, "Doll Revolution," drew its name from their cover of Elvis Costello's late-period "Tear Off Your Own Head.")

I put "James" on a mix CD a few years ago, and half a dozen people emailed me to ask "were the Bangles always that awesome?"

Sadly, Family Fodder's "Savoir Faire" is now out of print and not coming back, at least not in that form (although Alig's been working on compiling a revised best-of).

Douglas

Yeah, that list is not complete or representative. I never asserted that was in any way, shape, or form! I just got a very small response to my initial query. So I compiled something just to get people talking!!!! Your response was precisely my goal.

Sure...that Horses reissue would be great to include! As would X's Los Angeles. Which Bangle's album do you recommend? GIVE ME BLURBS!

I dunno, I would also say that that Family Fodder "best of" comp is worth including right? And perhaps a Runaways comp (the one I have is garbage quality-wise)? What else is missing -- Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Ut...?

This task is not easy which is why I originally opened discussion to the listmembers. I didn't want to represent you because I knew there'd be misgivings at the outset!

Keep 'em coming.

-Dina