typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 133, Issue 3

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Edward Arthur" <ed.arthur AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 133, Issue 3
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:10:27 -0500

[I know I've really hit the right email list when I get a response
from the label (Dan) and the
band (Dee)]

Last I heard Ed Bahlman was still occasionally seen
around NYC. Stuart Argabright from Ike Yard ran into
him at the post office a few years ago and Glenn
Branca was in touch with him at some point. By all
reports he wants nothing to do with the music
business. Perhaps the lawsuit with Sugar Hill killed
his appetite. The store 99x still exists, on 10th
street now, and is run by a couple who recently moved
into my building in Queens. Coincidence? Probably.

Meanwhile, the Branca releases on 99 were reissued on
my Acute Records label, Soul Jazz reissued the ESG
releases, and Liquid Liquid is currently working with
the DFA on some new recordings. The old Liquid Liquid
stuff may be available again from another record label
but I'm not sure how far they've gone with that.

I'm currently working on the Acute website which will
feature lots of old press for the Branca material,
which is well worth reading. Check back soon!

Thanks for the E.B. update.

I do have the Soul Jazz ESG re-releases (except the latest...doh)
and your stuff on Acute (if you check your email archives you'll
see that I pre-ordered some items waaaay back :-) ) and I do
have the Grand Royale re-release. Somewhere I still have the
vinyl too (although I never bought Branca vinyl back in the day,
call it ignorance).

---

It's not you.

Typical BBC bungling :)

VG says "Hold on it's coming"

joly

----

The Bush Tetras material on 99 has been available on Roir for ages. We
have all our masters. Have no idea where Ed Bahlman is nor do i really
care. Ed was in the right place and at the right time and it all
happened in the blink of an eye. The lawsuit lasted longer than the
label.
Dee Pop (BT's)

Ah, yeah, I do have the RIOR tape kicking around somewhere as well.
Is there a ROIR CD????

Thanks,
/Ed