typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] The Deli - Slits Brooklyn

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT dti.net>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] The Deli - Slits Brooklyn
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:23:38 -0500

[there's a pic on the page]

http://www.thedelimagazine.com/bigcontact-deli-loader.php?name=thedeli&itemId=158725&mode=comments#post

This wasn't the first show held at Starr Street, but after the cops
showed up at Todd P's NOT CMJ party on Friday night, only four
bands into the ambitious 10 band 2 stage set, at least 3 hours
before The Slits were even scheduled to hit the stage, it may have
left some guests under the impression that it would be the last.
I'm here to tell you that it's not. Getting the low-down from a
highly exhausted Andrea Merkx the next day, the best summary I can
offer is that no one got fined, no one got arrested and, in her own
words "We knew it wasn't going to work, but we did it anyway." If
that isn't indie than I don't know what is. Regardless, the show
did go on, thanks to some dealings with our friends at the Syrup
Room, and this writer did manage to hold forth long enough to see
The Slits, thanks to a helping of life-sustaining chicken pot pie
from North Eastern Kingdom. Long story short, I don't care what
Pitchfork has to say about The Slits and their lack of context. If
you can't spend the night walking around deep space Bushwick, lost
in 30 degree cold and still enjoy a show like that, then what you
lack is heart, my friend. (I'll kill you, I'll kill you, I'll kill
you with love. Or much worse, I'll make you sit through a set by
the Wzt Hearts.) - Christin Roman

WWWhatsup NYC

  • [TypicalGirls] The Deli - Slits Brooklyn, WWWhatsup, 11/07/2006