typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Vermilion

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT dti.net>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Vermilion
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:14:21 -0400

Vermilion aka Vermilion Sands was a gf of Vale and worked on 'Search &
Destroy' zine in LA.

IIRC she hooked up with Rat Scabies at the Damned's first shows in NYC
w. The Dead Boys and returned to London w/ the band.

A loud mouthed red-headed biker chick, she rapidly fell in with the local
Notting Hill
leather jacket scene e.g. Lemmy, Chrissie H etc.

She got a job helping Nick Jones run Illegal Records (prop M.Copeland) and
did most of the promotional work.

Around 79 she formed a band, which I remember as Venus Envy, but
according to http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/vermilion.htm was 'Dick Envy'
and put out a record.

She was very proud of a publicity photo that showed her pissing in a sink.

She was a good friend to have at the time and I've often wondered what
happened
to her, and searched the www with not much joy.

The most recent mentions I can find are a Melody maker review of the Fall in
1983
http://visi.com/fall/gigography/bib80-84.html and a reference to her managing
The Business (!) around 82. http://www.garry-bushell.co.uk/oi/index.asp

joly

At 02:46 PM 5/14/2006, you wrote:
>Oops . . . correction already . . . make that 1977-1978 as she
>arrived in London spring of 1977 . . .
>
>CLASH22
>
>On May 14, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Annette wrote:
>
>> Sorry to send this as a reply -- don't know how to originate message
>> to whole list yet -- but I'm wondering if anyone ever remembers or
>> discusses Vermillion, who, believe me, cut a pink punk swath thru the
>> U.K. in 1978 and thereafters. Cut a record too, and a good one.
>>
>> She was a pioneer in many ways. What do any of you know of her?
>>
>> CLASH 22

WWWhatsup NYC