typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Certainly Not Typical Girls

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Timothy Sasscer <sasscer1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Certainly Not Typical Girls
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:53:47 -0400

two beautiful pieces I heard on NPR this afternoon;

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4931402

takes you to an article about a new film by Thomas Riedelsheime<x-tad-bigger>r,</x-tad-bigger> a documentary about Scottish percussionist Evelyn Glennie. Mr. Riedelsheimer made one of my favorite films of the last couple of years, another documentary, about the wonderful artist Andy Goldsworthy, called Rivers and Tides. That film, and this one, also have superb soundtrack additions by Fred Frith.

and

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4864538

takes you to an article about a New Orleans artist and preacher, dead since 1980, whose a cappella tambourine chants (I know, not strictly a cappella) have been not only re-issued but also remixed with quite pleasing results. Check out 'Power (voodoo Version)' for some toe-tapping and head nodding action.

  • [TypicalGirls] Certainly Not Typical Girls, Timothy Sasscer, 09/30/2005