typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Next Acute Releases

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Daniel Selzer <danselzer AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Tyler Innis <tylerita AT hotmail.com>, typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Next Acute Releases
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 01:41:55 -0800 (PST)

--- Tyler Innis <tylerita AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Dan,
>
> I saw your Livejournal post mentioning 9 upcoming
> Acute releases in the
> works. Any clues for the Typical Girls as to what
> these are?
>
> -Tyler

I keep it (kinda) secret primarily to save face for
when the projects fall through so too many people
aren't like "oh man you were talking about putting
that record out for years and now somebody else is!"
or such things.

2 projects I've been working towards for some time
that I hope will happen are a few CDs related to the
band the Lines, who are one of my very favorite bands
and criminally underrated. I predict that if we get to
put the CDs out, lots of people are going to be
suprised that they hadn't heard of them before,
considering the diversity and quality of their stuff.

Another project that looks very likely is Flaming
Tunes. A few years after This Heat dissolved, Gareth
Williams and his friend Mary Currie put out a cassette
only release. Years later this would circulate as a
japanese bootleg crediting it as "After the Heat, This
Heat Demos" which it wasn't. There's an info page
about it at:

http://www.theserecords.com/files/flamingtunes.html

I truly love this music and think many of you will as
well. After listening to much of Charles Heyward and
Charles Bullen's (often wonderful) post-This Heat
projects, I'd often feel like there was something else
that was missing, a particular quality of This Heats
that I really related to...and you hear that on
Flaming Tunes. Anyway, it's a bit rough coming from
tape so we're going to see what we can do, while
trying not to do too much.

Beyond those, I'll let you know soon as I know!

In the meantime, check out the Nightingales during
their first US shows ever in March at SXSW, the
Fanatic Showcase with Daniel Johnston, the Castenets
and Ariel Pink, followed by a show in Chicago with the
Waco Brothers and finally some shows in NYC to be
determined. They'll also be on WNUR and we hope to get
them on a session with the great Terre T, so we'll see
about that.

And I do hope someone puts out that Ana Da Silva
domestically...the one song I downloaded from Flux
Blog is amazing.

dan