treq-nm - [TREQ-NM] Income tax deductions

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith AT att.net>
  • To: treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TREQ-NM] Income tax deductions
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:24:56 -0600

Many organizations that contribute to developing new equestrian
trails and trail use are 501(c)(3) nonprofits. Volunteers who
itemize deductions on their personal income tax returns may elect
to deduct travel expenses and certain other costs.

Do you itemize deductions? Did you claim all the deductions you
could have, for 2008? Eg, for driving to meetings about travel
management plans, planning rides, scouting rides, trail building
and upkeep?

I did not itemize my equestrian related activities, but I did
itemize my travel for New Mexico Orienteers and for Search and
Rescue, and I was astounded how much it added up to! For 2009,
I will be keeping track of the miles on all trips involving any
kind of volunteer work (helping to plan and run rides, etc.).

How about you?

Una