tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] Highly recommended: Nicole Foss in Cortland 5 November

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: Sustainability in Tompkins County <sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu>, tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] Highly recommended: Nicole Foss in Cortland 5 November
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:11:06 -0400

I've just received word that Nicole Foss, who in my opinion is one of
the smartest people around and an enormously interesting speaker on
sustainability topics, will be speaking 7 p.m. Tuesday 5 November in
Cortland. I unfortunately have to be elsewhere at that time, but I urge
everyone who can to attend this event.

The following is excerpted from the message I received to alert me.

Jon

We have just confirmed that Nicole Foss (Stoneleigh from the Automatic Earth
and formerly TheOilDrum-Canada) and Laurence Boomert from New Zealand will be
speaking here in Cortland this coming Tuesday evening at 7 PM in the Beard
Building at 9 Main St. in downtown Cortland.

If you think this might be of interest to your friends and colleagues, we
would appreciate you helping to spread the word.

Here's the info on the talk:

Nicole Foss, senior editor of The Automatic Earth website, will provide insights into
how global financial, energy (especially "fracking"), and social systems
operate, how and why they are vulnerable, and what we can do about it. Using different
countries to illustrate points in the cycle of expansion and contraction, Foss will
highlight the critical factors needed for change.

Author and green business developer Laurence Bommert will give working
examples of communities across the globe that have already begun to shift,
using sophisticated and simple social innovations and decentralized,
networked solutions to meet human needs.

Admission is free but donations to defray the cost of their appearance and
travel will be gratefully accepted. As you may be aware Nicole and Laurence
are on a cross country speaking tour and have just added Cortland as a stop
on their tour.

For a preview of likely topics of their presentations, here are three recent
interviews:

Here's a podcast they both did with KMO of the C-Realm podcast:

http://c-realm.com/podcasts/crealm/384-money-needs-a-reboot/

Here's another podcast interview that Ms. Foss did earlier this month with
Alex Smith of Radio Ecoshock:

http://www.ecoshock.info/2013/10/carry-on-through-crash.html

Finally in the first 18 minute segment of this week's Radio Ecoshock, Alex
interviews Mr. Boomert solo:

http://www.ecoshock.info/2013/10/desperately-seeking-solutions.html

  • [tcrp-news] Highly recommended: Nicole Foss in Cortland 5 November, Tompkins County Relocalization Project, 11/02/2013