tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] This might be of interest--Economics of Happiness

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] This might be of interest--Economics of Happiness
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:18:00 -0400

FYI, Tom

From: Gay Nicholson <gaynicholson AT gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:55:30 -0400
Subject: please post to IC, EVI, TCLocal, and other lists you might be on

Media Contacts:                                                                                     For Immediate Release:
Gay Nicholson                                                                                        April 15, 2011

607-216-1552

Gay AT SustainableTompkins.org

Creating an “Economics of Happiness” in Tompkins County

Ithaca:  Sustainable Tompkins is hosting a community conversation about local efforts to build a more resilient and fair economy on Wednesday, April 27, 7:00-9:30 pm at Cinemapolis. The evening will feature a panel discussion and the Ithaca premiere of The Economics of Happiness – a film by Helena Norberg-Hodge, Steven Gorelick and John Page, and a project of the International Society for Ecology and Culture (ISEC).

Growing frustration with the failures and injustices of the global economic system has led to popular revolts in many countries and heated debates in the U.S.  As globalization has funneled immense wealth to transnational corporations, while depleting resources and displacing people, a countering force based on the principles of sustainability, social justice, and local economies has emerged.

“Relocalization of our economy is essential if we are to buffer ourselves from speculative bubbles and escalating food and energy prices,” notes Gay Nicholson, President of Sustainable Tompkins. “We need to design a local economy that works for everyone and takes advantage of the power of entrepreneurship, sharing, local supply chains, self-provisioning, and local investment.”

The documentary film takes a close look at eight “inconvenient truths” about globalization and its disruptive impacts on billions of people, and contrasts that with the shared well-being and resiliency arising from local economies where people are more accountable to each other.  Kristen Elizabeth Steele, former Ithacan and Lehman Alternative Community School graduate, works for the ISEC in London and will introduce the film and share results from the global conversation it is inspiring.  “The themes of the film were introduced to me while I was growing up in Ithaca,” said Steele, “and I’m looking forward to hearing about the progress my hometown is making in building long-term resilience into its economy.”

After the first screening, a panel of local community leaders from Sustainable Tompkins, Southside Community Center, Share Tompkins, Local First Ithaca, Tompkins County Workers Center, Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County, and Tompkins Workforce NY will outline our progress in creating a more sustainable local economy and suggest opportunities to pursue in the next few years.

“Ithacans have embraced the idea of sharing resources through our monthly events,” explains panelist Shira Golding of Share Tompkins, “and we are building an online infrastructure that empowers people to share and trade services, products, and knowledge. The result is a higher quality of life for all of us and a really strong sense of mutual-aid and community self-sufficiency.”

Audience members are encouraged to join the discussion and bring their ideas and news on other local economy initiatives.  Tickets for the first screening at 7:00 are offered on a sliding scale of $5-$10 at the door, or can be purchased in advance by contacting elizasalon AT yahoo.com.  A second screening at 9:30 pm will be offered through Cinemapolis at standard prices.

Sustainable Tompkins is a citizen-based organization whose mission is to promote the long-term well-being of our communities and region by integrating social equity, economic vitality, ecological stewardship, and personal and civic responsibility.  Visit www.sustainabletompkins.org to learn more.

Hosted by Sustainable Tompkins with cosponsors: Alternatives Federal Credit Union, Green Resource Hub, Sustainable Enterprise & Entrepreneur Network, Share Tompkins, Local First Ithaca, Tompkins County Workers Center, Social Ventures, Southside Community Center, Tompkins Workforce NY, Tompkins County Climate Protection Initiative, Interfaith Action for Healing Earth, and Ithaca Hours.

  • [tcrp-news] This might be of interest--Economics of Happiness, Tompkins County Relocalization Project, 04/19/2011