tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] Latest TCLocal article: The Local Foodshed of Tompkins County

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] Latest TCLocal article: The Local Foodshed of Tompkins County
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:37:56 -0400

"Eating local" is often presented as one way we'll cope with the
contraction of supply chains as fuel prices rise again. But until
now, we've seen very little analysis of whether the agricultural
resources of our local area are actually sufficient to feed us.

In this month's TCLocal article, "Examining the potential local
foodshed of Tompkins County," CU researcher Christian Peters has
made the first serious attempt to answer this central question.
His conclusion, based on extensive work in modeling New York State
foodsheds, puts into perspective the challenge that faces us.

Chris's article also includes links to several essential
statistical resources and to the very cool interactive "Local
Foodshed Mapping Tool for New York State" developed by the team he
worked with in the CU Department of Crop and Soil Sciences. You
can find the article at

http://tclocal.org/2009/03/examining_the_potential_local.html

People who want to comment on this article or engage Chris in
discussion should note that the TCLocal web site is specifically
designed to get feedback on these ideas as they are developed.
Please use the comment form at the bottom of the article so that
we can keep all the input in one place.

ABOUT TCLOCAL

Every month TCLocal brings you another in our series of articles
addressing various aspects of energy descent in Tompkins County.
Contributors to TCLocal are members of the community committed to
helping prepare for a future with less available energy. Articles
that have appeared so far in this series can be found at
tclocal.org. They include:

Food Processing in Tompkins County
by Persephone Doliner (February 2009)
http://tclocal.org/2009/02/food_processing_in_tompkins_co.html

Wasting in the Energy Descent: An Outline for the Future
by Tom Shelley (January 2009)
http://tclocal.org/2009/01/wasting_in_the_energy_descent.html

Local and Urban Small Livestock and Poultry
by Angelika St. Laurent (December 2008)
http://tclocal.org/2008/12/local_and_urban_small_livestoc.html

Health Care in an Energy-Constrained Environment (Part 1)
by Bethany Schroeder (October 2008)
http://tclocal.org/2008/10/health_care_in_an_energyconstr.html

Preparedness Basics (Part 1)
by Katie Quinn-Jacobs (September 2008)
http://tclocal.org/2008/09/preparedness_basics.html

Post-Peak Land Use Part 1: Ecocities and
Post-Peak Land Use Part 2: The Country
by Josh Dolan (July 2008)
http://tclocal.org/2008/07/postpeak_land_use_part_1_ecoci.html
http://tclocal.org/2008/07/postpeak_land_use_part_2_the_c.html

Water Treatment, Water Power
by Jon Bosak (May 2008)
http://tclocal.org/2008/05/water_treatment_water_power.html

Roads and Bridges in a Post-peak Tompkins County
by Simon St. Laurent (March 2008)
http://tclocal.org/2008/03/roads_and_bridges_in_a_postpea.html

Fruits in a Post-Peak Tompkins County
by Angelika St. Laurent (January 2008)
http://tclocal.org/2008/01/fruits_in_a_postpeak_tompkins_1.html

Other articles scheduled for publication in 2009 include:

Household preparation, Part 2 (Katie Quinn-Jacobs)
Health care resources, Part 2 (Bethany Schroeder)
Food production systems (Karl North)
Biomass options (Krys Cail)
Local wood heat (Tony Nekut)
Local biofuel production (Tycho Dan)

Articles appearing at tclocal.org are published under the Creative
Commons license and are owned and managed by the contributors as a
group. People interested in becoming TCLocal contributors should
first check the Terms of Reference at

http://ibiblio.org/tcrp/process/terms.htm

and then contact the TCLocal editor at the address below to sign
up.

Jon Bosak
Editor, TCLocal
bosak AT pinax.com

  • [tcrp-news] Latest TCLocal article: The Local Foodshed of Tompkins County, Tompkins County Relocalization Project, 03/29/2009