tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] Minutes from 9/6/2008 meeting

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] Minutes from 9/6/2008 meeting
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:45:02 -0400

Here's an update from the September TCLocal meeting.

Also, in case anyone isn't on the Sustainable Tompkins or Fingerlakes Permaculture lists, here's the announcement for the latest TCLocal article, on emergency preparedness.

Thanks,
Simon St.Laurent
Chair, TCLocal

September is Preparedness month. Most people today think about being
'prepared' in today's context, where we can have fueled cars ready us to
take us someplace if we have to go, where odds are good that even if the
power goes out we still have fuel, and where we figure that water won't
be hard to get.

As higher energy costs sink in, the meaning of 'preparedness' is going
to change. Katie Quinn-Jacobs takes a first look at what that will mean
for Tompkins County residents in her 'Preparedness Basics' article at:

http://tclocal.org/2008/09/preparedness_basics.html

Quinn-Jacobs provides concrete answers to questions of how to be ready
with the basics when things go wrong, including energy, shelter, water,
sanitation, food, and, yes, evacuation. She also examines the changing
interdependencies we'll encounter as we shift from short-term challenges
to longer-term challenges.

We'd definitely be interested in comments and suggestions on this piece,
and welcome feedback. We'd love to hear questions,
criticisms, and additional ideas.

TCLocal is a group of citizens developing strategies for dealing with
energy descent in Tompkins County. To that end, we're publishing
periodic articles, examining specific topics in the harsh light of
higher energy prices. You can find them at:

http://www.tclocal.org/

Previous articles have examined growing fruit and managing roads and
bridges in Tompkins County after the peak, as well as water systems and
land use planning.

Upcoming articles will cover keeping small livestock, waste disposal,
and health resources. We're working toward publishing around one
article per month.

The TCLocal web site is specifically designed to get your feedback
on these ideas they are developed. These articles are a starting point
for a conversation we hope will include a wide variety of readers coming
at these issues from different perspectives. We welcome comments - they
work now! - and hope to find more good ideas through public discussion.

Thanks,
Simon St.Laurent
Chair, TCLocal

  • [tcrp-news] Minutes from 9/6/2008 meeting, Tompkins County Relocalization Project, 09/30/2008