tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] TCLocal/TCRP presentation May 11 in Ithaca

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] TCLocal/TCRP presentation May 11 in Ithaca
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:06:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hello TCLocal/TCRP observers,

We're presenting at the Sustainable Tompkins meeting May 11;
see details below.

Jon

Subject: [SustainableTompkins] ST Monthly Gathering 5/11 6:00-8::30 How Local
Can We Get?
From: "Elan Shapiro" <elansla AT ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us>
Date: Tue, April 25, 2006 8:31 pm
To: sustainabletompkins AT lists.mutualaid.org,
sustainability AT lists.ithaca.edu,
village-plus AT ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us

How Local Can We Get? ST Monthly Gathering Thu. 5/11 6:00-8::30 PM
Unitarian Church

Sustainable Tompkins invites you to our monthly networking and
learning gathering on Thursday, May 11 from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m in the
Parlor Room downstairs at the Unitarian Universalist Church, on the
corner of Aurora and Buffalo Streets, in downtown Ithaca.
The event will begin with a potluck dinner - including many locally
grown and produced foods. People will have a chance to share their
interest in and involvement with personal and/or community
sustainability.

Jon Bosak, an organizer of TCLocal (formerly the Tompkins County
Relocalization Plan) will talk about what he sees as the most
important challenge that will face Tompkins County, beginning
probably around the end of this decade: the maintenance of personal
transportation, heating, food production, and food distribution in an
environment of rising unemployment and a rising cost of living driven
by rising costs of oil and natural gas. The key to answering these
challenges is the local production of goods and services, including
food, and the local production of electricity from renewable sources.
The process of developing the ability of a region to provide its own
goods, services, and energy is what is meant by relocalization.

Following Jon's presentation there will be ample time for questions,
as well as an opportunity to see how we are beginning to address
these issues, as individuals, and as a community.

Please join us, bring a dish to pass, and invite a friend or two!

For more info: Elan Shapiro, Sustainable Tompkins Program Co-Chair
elansla AT ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us 607-275-0249

Sustainable Tompkins is a coalition of citizens, community
organizations, elected officials, educators and professionals from
diverse fields - all working to promote a more just and sustainable
community.

--
Elan Shapiro
Sustainable Living Associates