tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] Slide format (was: Minutes of TCRP meeting 2006.01.07)

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] Slide format (was: Minutes of TCRP meeting 2006.01.07)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:10:41 -0500 (EST)

Hello TCRP members and observers,

It's been pointed out to me that the format used for the TCRP
minutes I sent to this list a few days ago is not exactly obvious
to use. My apologies; I hope this explanation helps.

To save time, the minutes are done by adding stuff to the slides
that I use in chairing the meeting. The slides are created in the
nonproprietary Open Document Format <rant>Which is the only thing
you should be using!!! Death to imperialistic proprietary document
formats!!! Viva openoffice.org!!!</rant>, but as most people
don't use OpenOffice (yet), and almost everyone has the Adobe
Acrobat reader, I convert the slides to PDF for distribution.

Trouble is, for some reason I've never been able to figure out,
the Acrobat reader doesn't size the slides appropriately when you
open the file; it gets them almost right, but not quite. So as
you page through the slides, the view becomes increasingly out of
sync with the window, which I find really irritating. (There is a
solution to this, which is to hit ctrl-0 (zero) right after
opening the file, but I can never remember to do that.) So
instead I rig the deck to open directly in "slide show" (full
screen) mode.

Unfortunately, as several of you have discovered, it's not
intuitively obvious that you're expected to use the PgDn button to
move through the slides in this mode. Worse, it's not clear at
all how to exit the program. The answer (in Windows; I don't know
about other platforms) is either to Terminate With Extreme
Prejudice by hitting Alt-F4 or to just hit the Esc button to get
the normal (irritating) non-full-screen view. I confess that I
found this out by accident.

If anyone has an opinion on the right way to go with this, let me
know (bosak @ ibiblio . org). The issue is going to come up again
when we circulate our introductory presentation to this list next
week.

Jon