stayfreemagazine - Stay F---! | January 26

stayfreemagazine AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Subscribers to Stay Free! magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfreemagazine AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | January 26
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:56:02 -0500

Hello,

I've just made two timely additions to the Stay Free! website (from issue
#23):

"The Trouble with Wal-Mart: Whatever you've heard about
the retail giant, it's a lot worse than you think."

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/23/wal-mart-liza-featherstone.html
An interview with journalist Liza Featherstone

"Wal-Mart Pranked!"
by Joe the Peacock
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/23/wal-mart-prank.html
A former employee gets his revenge

Timely, because it turns out that the retail behemoth is not only planning to open a new store in Queens, but has its sights on Brooklyn as well:
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/263631p-225742c.html

Oy vey! I haven't heard of any serious organizing efforts against this but I'll keep you posted as soon as I find one.

:::::::: UPCOMING STAY F--- EVENTS

Fri. February 4 - New York City - 6:30 PM
Interactive Telecommunications Program of NYU
(721 Broadway, 4th Floor)
I'm speaking on a panel -- End/Begin: New Directions in Activism -- with Clay Shirky (http://www.shirky.com) and Trebor Scholz (http://www.molodiez.org/). Come one, come all...

::::::::

March 24-26 - U of Iowa
"Collage as Cultural Practice"
http://www.uiowa.edu/~poroi/SIP/SIPcollage.htm

I'll be speaking at this nifty conference, which "seeks to examine interventionist collage practices in all media, with an emphasis on the social, political, and legal implications of this method of appropriation." Several folks involved with the Illegal Art Exhibit will be participating, including prankster/scholar Kembrew McLeod (who actually helped organize the festivities), Negativland's Mark Hosler, and filmmaker Craig Baldwin.

:::::::: OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

"Eyes on the Prize" Copyfight!

Thanks to copyright restrictions, Eyes on the Prize -- a classic documentary series about the Civil Rights Movement--has been unavailable for years. Now, in an effort to promote copyright reform, our friends at Downhill Battle have posted digital files of the film online and are encouraging people to host home screenings on February 8:
http://www.downhillbattle.org/eyes/

::::::::

Let a Thousand Googles Bloom
by Lawrence Lessig
http://tinyurl.com/4acxf

A sharp LA Times editorial from Lawrence Lessig, pointing out the potential legal problems in Google's plan to digitize library books. Because current copyright law doesn't require owners to register their copyrights, figuring out which historial works are in the public domain and which aren't is often difficult and painstaking (if not impossible) research. Lessig's solution is a no-brainer: require registration.

  • Stay F---! | January 26, Carrie McLaren, 01/26/2005