stayfreemagazine - Stay Free! | August 20

stayfreemagazine AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Subscribers to Stay Free! magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfreemagazine AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | August 20
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:05:53 -0500

hey, I've been delinquent on the emails lately. Sorry about that. It's been a busy, busy summer here at the Stay Free! hacienda, working on the Illegal Art exhibit (www.illegal-art.org), a Stay Free! media literacy curriculum (12th grade), and a new issue of the zine (due out mid-November).

* * *

The budding media educators among you should know about the inaugural conference for Action Coalition for Media Education (ACME). October 18-20 in New Mexico. All the cool kids will be there: Mark Crispin Miller, Bob McChesney, Jean Kilbourne, etc. (I'll be speaking as well.) Registration info: http://www.acmecoalition.org

* * *

I was on NPR today (8/19) talking about Tivo, ReplayTV and their effect on advertising. You can listen in RealAudio if you so desire:
http://www.moretothepoint.org/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?show_code=tp&air_date=8/19/02&tmplt_type=show

* * *

NEW ON THE STAY FREE! SITE:

Mark Crispin Miller on conspiracy theories, the Bush administration, etc.:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/19/mcm.html

* * *

OF INTEREST ELSEWHERE: FAST FOOD AND DRUGS

"Mcdonald's says 'don't eat too much of our food' "
http://media.guardian.co.uk/marketingandpr/story/0,7494,725429,00.html
(Thanks to Iain Aitch)

"Burger King staff burned in team building firewalking session"
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_416979.html

...and Salon has done some awesome stories about drug marketing:

"Author and psychologist Bruce Levine pummels psychiatry, psychotropic drugs. and the role both may have played in the case of Andrea Yates"
http://archive.salon.com/mwt/feature/2001/07/11/levine

"Celebrity pill pushers: Under the guise of public service, pharmaceutical companies are quietly paying stars to solicit new customers on TV talk shows with tales of personal suffering and blessed relief."
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2002/07/11/celebrity_drugs

  • Stay Free! | August 20, Carrie McLaren, 08/19/2002