stayfreemagazine - Stay Free! | February 5

stayfreemagazine AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Subscribers to Stay Free! magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfreemagazine AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | February 5
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:31:24 -0500

Hello, here are a few items of interest from elsewhere in the world:

"Across the Crowded Room in Korea,
Girl Meets Boy, Kicking and Shouting"
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/korean_dating.html
From the Wall Street Journal, a surreal story about the dating scene for upper-class Koreans.

"How Corporate Law Inhibits Social Responsibility"
http://www.business-ethics.com/for2.htm
Excellent, brief primer on the issue. Well worth your while.

"Tobacco Firm to own Patent on Lung Cancer Genes"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,591946,00.html
Never underestimate the genius of the tobacco industry. Japan Tobacco--makers Camel, Winston, and Salem cigarettes--hopes to start profiting from the cancer that smoking causes. If it succeeds, the company will have surmounted a problem that has long plagued the tobacco industry: the more people die from cancer, the fewer there are to buy cigarettes. A cancer vaccine would allow the company to not only profit from cigarettes, but cancer itself. Sounds like a "win-win" situation for Big Tobacco.

"Cause of Tokyo woman's death undetermined"
http://www.bismarcktribune.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2001/December/04-211-nws-4.txt
This has got to be the saddest story I've read in months. After watching the movie "Fargo," a young Japanese woman flew to Minneapolis to look for money she thought had been buried there. About a week later, she was dead.

P. S.
Congratulations to the Legendary Joe Garden and Anita Serwacki, who met at the Stay Free picnic last summer and are now getting married! Hooray! We wish you kids the best.

yours,
carrie

--
Tech note: Email to my stayfreemagazine.org address often bounces, for whatever reason. If you email me and it comes back, send it to stay.free AT verizon.net

  • Stay Free! | February 5, Carrie McLaren, 02/05/2002