stayfree - Stay F---! | December 7

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <temporary181 AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | December 7
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:09:28 -0500

At long last, we have a Stay F---! update for you. Here are a few recent highlights from our blog. For full text, images, and more articles, see http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org.

- - - -

GIVE A PENNY (THAT IS AN ORDER)

Stay Free! crossword constructor Francis Heaney found a local restaurant that has decided to save you from your pennies - by rounding your bill up!
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/12/rounding_receip.html

BROKEN iPODS, II

The Wall Street Journal has joined the New York Times and Chicago Tribune in covering the broken iPod story: "When iPods Die: Gripes Over Breakdowns Grow as Players Become Ubiquitous." ...which reminds me: the deadline is dawning for our broken iPod art project. If you have a broken iPod and would like to contribute, please get your photos in as soon as you can.
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/12/wsj_on_broken_i.html

LONDON CHARGES SUVS $50 TO ENTER; COULD NEW YORK BE NEXT?

How's this for a transportation alternatives: the major of London recently announced plans to charge SUVs $50 to enter his fine city. Tiny electric cars, in contrast, pay zero. The timing couldn't be better for those of us in New York; today a coalition of 125 organizations announced its five-point for traffic reform, including... yes, congestion pricing.
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/11/suv_tax_50.html

NEW YORK GRIDLOCK

After last week's news about congestion pricing, I'm all fired up about Growth or Gridlock, an extensive report about New York's coming traffic disaster (and by "extensive," I mean "terrifying"). The report has been making a lot of waves in metro sections this week, probably because it's not geared to lefty tree-huggers or health-conscious types, but to business people. The findings: traffic congestion in the city leads to annual losses of over $13 billion to businesses and consumers...
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/12/congestion_pric.html

Related: Hilarious video of how Manchester, England, deters drivers from sneaking into high-speed bus lanes:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/12/schadenfreude_s.html

PERSONAL KYOTO

For those on the East Coast, Con Edison users can sign up to a new website, Personal-Kyoto.org, that better tracks energy use in your home. You basically sign in and Personal Kyoto creates graphs of your energy use history. Then you try to reduce your annual use by 25% over the course of a year, which is close to what the Kyoto Protocol would require. You can see what turning off your lights, using efficient bulbs, shutting down your computer at night, etc. actually does.
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/12/personal_kyoto.html

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ARCHITECTURE?

The next issue of Stay Free! magazine is going to look at how architecture and the built environment affect everyday life...
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/12/architecture_he.html

MPAA: YOU ARE ALL ENEMY COMBATANTS

In the wake of the Hewlett-Packard pretexting scandal (not to mention the furor over warrantless wiretapping), people seem to be thinking a lot more about privacy. So it seemed like a no-brainer that California would pass a strong bill protecting people from having their personal information given away under false pretenses. Alas, Wired reports that the MPAA used all of its lobbying muscle to shoot down the pretexting bill...
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/12/mpaa_you_are_al.html

NEEDLESSLY ELECTRONIC

By now you've I'm sure seen the news about the new "Here and Now" Monopoly, the one in which they replaced the wheelbarrow with McDonald's fries, the flat iron with a Starbuck's coffee, the car with a flying car. You may not have noticed, however, that the UK version of Here and Now also replaced the money with debit cards. I'm not going to get into what this may imply for the future our retail skills (although the American version did replace the real-world bank notes with bills on the magnitude of 200k and up). What I'm more interested in is that a previously people-powered game now requires batteries...
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/11/needlessly_elec.html

MARKETING, CRYSTALLIZED

If you've ever lost a minute of sleep, concerned that commercial speech isn't given its due under the First Amendment, please take a second to consider this sentence from a weekend obituary for Dick Kress, former President of Norelco...
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/11/marketing_cryst.html

HOME DEPOT'S HOT AIR

Now that Charles and I are homeowners, all of the energy I usually pour into Stay Free! has, for the time being, been directed into renovating our house. Lesson #476: Avoid Home Depot services at all costs...
More:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2006/11/home_depots_hot.html

  • Stay F---! | December 7, Carrie McLaren, 12/07/2006