stayfree - Stay F---! | August 20

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | August 20
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:54:51 -0400

Here are some recent highlights from Stay Free's blog. For full text, images, and many more articles, see http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org.

STAY FREE! SUBSCRIBERS PARTY IN NYC

We're going to be having our quasi-annual Stay Free! subscribers party on the weekend after next. If you're a (paid) subscriber to the magazine, you should have received the details by now. If not, reply to this email (stay.free AT verizon.net) and I'll send them along. Of course, it's never too late to become a subscriber and, yes, that is a bribe:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/order.html

AMERICAN SCIENCE, RIP

Stay F---! spoofs the new series of Post Office stamps devoted to "American Scientists." Impress your friends and loved ones with these downloadable, eerily realistic parody stamps: Richard "Rick" Santorum, George Walker Bush, William Jennings Bryan, and the Intelligent Designer himself.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/science_stamps.html

SPOOFING AMERICAN APPAREL

Another spoof, this one from some friends of a friend in Los Angeles, home base of American Apparel.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/american_appare.html

CAN WE STILL BE FRIENDSTERS?

Mark down August 28, 2005, as the day that MySpace.com officially jumped the shark. For that was the day a New York Times article proclaimed how of-the-moment the site was. (Though one could certainly make a case that the shark-jumping occurred when R.E.M. joined. Or when Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation bought the site. Take your pick.) My gripe is sour-grape based in part, I'll admit. As I age, I only learn that life is designed to make me feel old...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/can_we_still_be.html

UNKOSHER ART

Look for the artists at this Beijing art farm to get a cease-and-desist letter after tattooing the Louis Vuitton logo on a pig. The artists in residence tattoo the anesthetized pigs and show the tattoos after the eventual natural deaths of the pigs...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/pig_tattoo.html

SELLING SICKNESS

I haven't been very good about finishing books lately, but did manage to read this one the whole way through: Selling Sickness: How the World's Biggest Pharmaceutical Companies are Turning Us All into Patients by Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels. The book is short, easy, and loaded with arresting anecdotes about drug company efforts to "brand" disease...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/selling_sicknes.html

COULD VIOXX COME BACK FROM THE GRAVE?

I don't know how many of you are following the Vioxx story but it's taking a surreal turn. First, a quick recap: Merck withdrew Vioxx from the market in September 2004 when evidence linking the drug to fatal heart attacks became too much to ignore. (By some estimates, Vioxx has caused tens of thousands of deaths.) The news sparked a slew of lawsuits from survivors and the verdict in the first of these cases came back on Friday. The jury ruled against Merck and awarded the plaintiff -- whose husband died of a heart attack after taking Vioxx -- a symbolic $253 million...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/vioxx_heart_dea.html

REAL BEAUTY (FOR ASS MEN)

Since Dove's "Real Beauty" campaign has won raves in the press, other advertisers are rushing to cash in on some of that "real bodies" action. Nike has just launched an image campaign in a similar vein, celebrating "big butts, thunder thighs and tomboy knees" -- or at least that's what Advertising Age said. I looked at the ads myself but the closest thing to a fatty here is, as Charles put it, "a tight, perfectly round ass." ...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/real_women_ads.html

BRAIN TAUNTER

Little, stupid Flash-based ads that tout low mortgage rates are pretty much everywhere on the web, kind of like the soot-blackened gum wads pounded into the sidewalk of any big city: ubiquitous, mildly repugnant, and ignored. But, much like soot-blackened gum wads, sometimes one of these ads catches my eye. Like today. The ad pictured here seems to have some kind of slightly stoned green hippy troll-thing giving me a wobbly peace sign, surrounded by a sea-like miasmic soup of low-mortgage rate information...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/brain_taunter.html

CAN'T A GAY BATMAN GET A BREAK?

Oh, will the copyright madness ever end? D.C. Comics is going after a Chelsea art dealer, demanding that it cease and desist from exhibiting Mark Chamberlain's series of "gay Batman" watercolors. As Kathleen Cullen of Kathleen Cullen Fine Art explained to Artnet, "D.C. Comics wants me to hand over all unsold work and invoices for the sold work!" I hope she told them to make their own gay Batman watercolors...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/gay_batman.html

BEER FOR KIDS

Following on the heels of candy-flavored cigarettes and kiddie deodorant, a Japanese company is marketing a nonalcoholic drink it calls Kidsbeer:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/beer_for_kids.html

DEATH TO FALSE METAL!

Nu-metal stalwarts Slipknot are on the warpath. The enemy? Coq Roq, the fictional band featured in Burger King's new ad for Chicken Fries. Slipknot are threatening to sue the fast food chain for ripping off their likeness and sound in a diabolical scheme to "influence the Slipknot generation to purchase Chicken Fries."
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/death_to_false_.html

WHO KNEW FAKING BARCODES COULD BE SO EASY?

Some of you may remember when pranksters from Conglomco created a website that allowed people to download barcodes of various consumer goods, print them out, and stick them over more expensive goods at Wal-Mart, enabling them to buy at a discount. (The site was quickly shut down.)
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/08/barcodes_art_fa.html

  • Stay F---! | August 20, Carrie McLaren, 08/30/2005