stayfree - Stay F---! | May 31

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | May 31
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:19:45 -0400

Here are more highlights from our blog. You can find images, links, and complete posts at http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org

THE FREAKY UNIVERSE OF McDONALD's ADVERTISING

A BRIEF HISTORY, WITH VIDEO, BY TIM HARROD

Ever since the Earl of Sandwich first ordered meat between two pieces of bread in 1765, entrepreneurs have sold sandwiches to their neighbors who want one. This article is not about those people. Here we will explore the much larger and eviler business of getting them to want the sandwich in the first place. The next step--physically vending a carefully formulated chemical stew that resembles a sandwich--was already explored extensively in Super Size Me, Morgan Spurlock's famous long-form Jackass

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/24/mcdonalds-commercials.html

REMINDER: WIZARD PEOPLE SCREENING TONIGHT IN BROOKLYN

Just a quick reminder about the good times to be had at Southpaw tomorrow night. Music before and after the show with DJs Digestif and the Meat Mistress. Free copies of Stay Free! And more!

Wizard People screening
(aka Stay Free! #24 release party)
8 pm sharp; doors open at 7:30
Southpaw - Tuesday, May 31
125 Fifth Ave. (between Sterling and St. John’s)
Park Slope, Brooklyn
(718) 230-0236
$5 cover

More info:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org

PHONE RING TONE SET TO TOP U.K. CHARTS

Video killed the radio star, now cell phones have killed the video star. From Business Week: “A cell-phone ring tone based on the sound of a revving Swedish mo-ped, ‘Crazy Frog Axel F,’ appeared set to top the British singles chart Sunday, outselling the new single by Coldplay by nearly four to one.” Sounds to me like poetic justice. Now if only someone could base a cell-phone ring on the sound of a toilet flushing...

More at:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/phone_ring_tone.html

IT’S ALL IN YOUR BRAIN, GIRLS

The Independent UK published a story last month claiming, “Anorexia Linked to Brain Defect, Rather Than Social Pressures.” There may be a grain of truth to this. After all, a variant of anorexia preceded the rise of electronic media. But fixating on brain chemistry like this drives me nuts...

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/its_all_in_your.html

NETS ARENA PLAN STUFFED
Posted by Charles Star

Yesterday’s New York Post reported that the MTA was going to have open bidding on the Atlantic Yards instead of fake negotiations with Forrest City/Ratner and the Nets. I can’t be too excited, but I’m hoping that this will be a more honest bidding process than the Jets West Side charade...

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/nets_arena_plan.html

SAY IT LOUD!
Posted by Charles Star

While looking for a Viva Judaica Foreskin Extender, I came across African Pride Hair Relaxer.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/say_it_loud.html

RADIO FREE CLEAR CHANNEL

It’s official: even Clear Channel is sick of Clear Channel. The company has set up a fake pirate radio station [taken down, 5/26/05] in Akron, Ohio, which it’s using to hurl insults at other Clear Channel stations. For about a week, Radio Free Ohio has feigned overthrowing Ohio’s media monopoly by bleeding its broadcasts into other Clear Channel stations.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/radio_free_clea.html

WAITING TO EXPEL
Posted by Charles Star

I was reading in yesterday’s Wall Street Journal (copied below the fold) about the ongoing research into treating premature ejaculation as a “disorder.” In the absence of drugs designed for the purpose, SSRI antidepressants such as Paxil and Zoloft are being prescribed; the new drugs in the pipeline are also SSRIs, even though SSRIs are known to have “sexual side effects such as damping libido.” So, you will last longer before orgasm, but won’t enjoy it very much...

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/waiting_to_expe.html

PRODUCT MUSIC TODAY

I recently discovered this mind-boggling collection of IT-related corporate anthems. Corporations have used songs to rally employees for decades, of course. Many companies (especially department stores and railroad companies) had in-house musical groups in the 1920s... and industrial musicals were the rage among managers, who used them to recruit and motivate employees in the 1950s and 1960s. But who knew companies still made promo music?!

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/product_music.html

THE TROUBLE WITH SELF-ESTEEM

Here’s a must-read from the New York Times Magazine a couple of years ago, about how self-esteem is grossly over-rated:
http://www.racematters.org/thetroublewithselfesteem.htm

PIMPIN' IS EASY...IN BRANDWEEK

Check out this ad from a recent issue of BrandWeek. When I was teaching 12th graders about mass media, one of the ways I’d illustrate the central role of commerce was to familiarize students with trade ads, which always manage to portray the target audience as affluent, sheep-like spenders (often a touch glassy-eyed). So I’ve seen a ton of these things, but this one’s a new beast...

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/pimpin_is_easyi.html

COPYRIGHT HOLDER DEMANDS THAT THE BLACKS KNOW THEIR PLACE
Posted by Charles Star

The Rogers and Hammerstein Foundation withdrew the license to perform some of the music in Big RIver from a high school production because it used reverse racial casting (or, more accurately, colorblind casting that resulted in reverse-race casting*) for the roles of Huck Finn and Jim. Way to keep that black actor in chains, R&H! Maybe instead of a slave, he can play a drug dealer or pimp in the next production.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/copyright_holde.html

KING OF BEERS EXECUTES DISLOYAL SUBJECT
Posted by Charles Star

From the Associated Press: “Ross Hopkins, 41, filed suit in Weld County District Court, saying American Eagle Distributing Co. has no right to tell him what kind of beer to drink when he is off-duty. Hopkins said he was fired in May 2003 after the son-in-law of the [Budweiser] distributorship owner saw him drinking Coors in a Greeley[, Colorado] bar.”

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/king_of_beers_e.html

MY PEPSI HALLUCINATION

Whenever I look at those new Pepsi ads, this is what I see (as illustrated by Mr. Torchinsky).
Ad parody at:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/my_pepsi_halluc.html

  • Stay F---! | May 31, Carrie McLaren, 05/31/2005