stayfree - Stay F--- | February 7

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F--- | February 7
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:10:02 -0500

Posted at http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/
- - - - -

Maybe you've heard the recent story about the guy selling ad space on his forehead on eBay. Or the one the woman who auctioned off space on her pregnant belly:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46690&item=3869933040&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Since these stories became media sensations, eBay has been flooded with copycats -- people trying to sell space on their faces, bald heads, backs, etc. I guess it's a small consolation that most of these morons haven't found their auctions to be nearly as lucrative as their predecessors, with bidding hovering around a dollar or two, at most... but the fact remains that they remain undeterred.

Therefore, at the risk of my dignity, I've decided to step into the fray and auction off ad space on my colon:

"Advertise on my colon"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5555567005

Perhaps this way we'll at least get to see an ad in a space where it belongs.

(Thanks to Jonah Peretti for the tip)

::::::

A fellow Brooklynite has come up with what is arguably a more innovative solution to the "forehead advertising" problem: special eyeglasses designed to block the ads:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5949718150

(though, as a commentator on one blog suggested, a lead pipe to the head would be more effective.)

  • Stay F--- | February 7, Carrie McLaren, 02/07/2005