stayfree - Upcoming Stay F---! events in NYC

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Upcoming Stay F---! events in NYC
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:11:44 -0500

Hello, I'm still recovering from the holidays so I'll keep this short and snappy. Here are two upcoming events that those of you in New York will not want to miss:

1)

Now through Tuesday, January 11, 9 pm
KNOCK OFF: REVENGE OF THE LOGO, a documentary about advertising that features yours truly (looking quite gaunt, frankly), along with the Reverend Billy and Stuart Ewen.

Two Boots' Pioneer Theater
155 East 3rd Street (at Avenue A)
New York, NY

Stuart Ewen and I will probably be at the show this Friday night to do a Q&A after the screening. Say "hi" if you come by.

:::::::::::

2)

Stay Free! magazine presents

"Jumpin' Jive!: Music shorts before the MTV-era"
Screening at Southpaw in Brooklyn, NY
Tuesday, January 25, 8 pm
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/jumpin_jive.pdf

Long before MTV was a gleam in Viacom's eye, jazz, blues, and pop artists were filming some of their favorite numbers. New York-based archivist Russell Scholl has selected some of the finest moments of these early music shorts and compiled them. From 1920s hot jazz to 1940s honky-tonk and television-era gospel, these music films promise to turn even the most jaded audience members into giddy, gushing fools -- or we'll give you your money back.*

With deejay Dave the Spazz of WFMU spinning jump blues, r & b, and hot hot soul before and after the screenings.

Films include:

Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Charlie Parker & Buddy Rich
The Mills Brothers
Django Reinhardt's Hot Club of France
Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys
The Delta Rhythm Boys
Fats Waller
Dorothy Dandridge
Louis Armstrong
Louis Jordan
Doc Watson
Hank Williams
George Jones
Nicholas Brothers
International Sweethearts of Rhythm
...lots more!

Cover: $6

Proceeds benefit Stay F---!

Doors: 7:30 pm (Screening: 8 pm)
Southpaw is at 125 5th Avenue (bet. Sterling and St. John's Place) in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Info: (718) 230-0236

* not really

  • Upcoming Stay F---! events in NYC, Carrie McLaren, 01/05/2005