stayfree - Stay F---! | November 30

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | November 30
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:23:58 -0500

If you are a paid subscriber and are getting this, you're on the wrong list! Email stay.free AT verizon.net and I'll update you

NEW ON THE STAY F---! WEBSITE

From back issue #22:

Subliminal Seduction:
Did the controversy surrounding subliminals help the ad industry more than it harmed it? Carrie McLaren discusses the paradox of advertising criticism:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/22/subliminal-advertising.html

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

If you read the New York Times this weekend, you know about the next big thing in cosmetic surgery: vaginal "rejuvenation." That is, excising fleshy labia and tightening vaginal muscles to make one's genitals more "youthful" and "normal-looking." The Times doesn't give much space to examining *why* vaginal surgery is taking off, but the increasing reach of pornography--facilitated by the internet--is no doubt a big part of it. When women with asymmetrical labia say they want to look "normal," what they're really talking about is looking more porn models. Women's eNews is much less shy about pinpointing a cause, quoting one gynecologist who says, "I can't tell you how many pages and pages of pornographic material woman have brought in to me saying 'I want to look like this.'"
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/28/fashion/28PLAS.html
http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/2067/context/archive

This reminds me of a documentary that Chyng Sun, a friend of mine who teaches at New York University, is working on. Chyng has been interviewing consumers of pornography and told me at lunch a couple of weeks ago that many of the women she has talked to report that their partners are always asking them to imitate sex acts that they've seen in porn. (Chyng is looking for more people willing to talk about their use of porn for her video documentary. Any takers? Email ChyngS AT aol.com.)

Hmmm. Maybe we should add this phenomenon to our stories of people imitating things they see in the media:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/media_influence2.html
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/media_influence1.html

Since I have no clue what constitutes a fabulous vagina (it's been years since I've seen my own), I turned to the web and found these photos:
http://www.cosmeticsurgery2.com/cs-female1.htm

...and now I can report that the ideal vagina is--surprise, surprise--tall and skinny.

::::

HOLIDAY CHEER

No major injuries or deaths were reported among the crowds shopping at Wal-Mart this weekend, but on Buy Nothing Day in Lafayette, Louisiana, pranksters glued the locks on about 30 stores in and near the Mall of Acadiana, forcing store managers to summon locksmiths. "Several retailers reported hundreds of customers waiting in long lines and thousands of dollars in lost sales as workers drilled through the locks and removed them":
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/27/national/27brfs.html

P.S.
Don't forget about Stay F---!'s holiday gift: The Best and Worst of Christmas, our terribly good mix CD:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/holiday_offer.html

  • Stay F---! | November 30, Carrie McLaren, 11/30/2004