stayfree - Stay F---! | November 4

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | November 4
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:21:59 -0500

NEW ISSUE OF STAY FREE!

Howdy, I'm pleased to report that Stay F---! issue #23 is now available for purchase. A few highlights in this issue:

::: Pricing the Priceless. How much would you pay for a case of chronic bronchitis? How much are hunchback whales worth? Frank Ackerman and Lisa Heinzerling discuss the sordid world of cost-benefit analysis. Plus: A cost-benefit analysis of setting yourself on fire.

::: The Trouble with Wal-mart. Whatever you've heard about the retail giant, it's a lot worse than you think. Interview with journalist Liza Featherstone.

::: Eugene Mirman. The Brooklyn comic talks about his native Russia, temping, and surviving the comedy biz.

::: Reel People. The founders of Home Movie Day talk about amateur films and what they can teach us.

...and more. Subscribe now for a measily $10.95 (only $6.95 for a digital subscription) and we'll send you it to you now:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/order

Full Table of Contents here:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/23/index.html

HARRY POTTER MOVIE SPOOF -- "WIZARD PEOPLE"

If you haven't seen Brad Neely's awesome Harry Potter parody yet, you have another chance. By popular request, I've put together a double-CD package, which you can get for a $35 donation to Stay Free! Or, if you're somewhat tech savvy, you can download the audio files gratis from the Illegal Art Exhibit. (Though I had to remove the mp3s from our server to save bandwidth, they're now available via BitTorrent.)

Order CDs here:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/order
Or Paypal $35 to carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org

Download free Wizard People here:
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/wizard.html

If you're in Austin, TX, you can even witness a LIVE screening of the movie at the downtown Alamo Drafthouse on Sat., Nov. 13 and Sun., Nov. 14.
http://www.drafthouse.com/

ELECTION DEPRESSION

I was down in Florida for the election. When I got back, still numb, I put on a Tom T. Hall record and had a good cry. (If anyone has any more innovative strategies for coping, write back and let me know!) I'm not sure which is worse: the prospect of four more years under Bush or the knowledge that so many Americans could actually vote for him.

There's a lot of speculation about the electronic voting machines so prevalent in Florida and Ohio, speculation fueled in part by the fact that exit polls in those states showed Kerry ahead.

For example:
http://www.bushflash.com/
http://www.gregpalast.com/
http://www.dailykos.com/

Then again, the same exit polls offered some other info that should give the Democrats pause:

* 40% of members of union households voted for Bush, as did 38% of union
members.

* 41% of those "very concerned" about the availability and cost of health care voted for Bush.

* 25% of those who think abortion should be always legal, and 38% of those who thought it should be mostly legal voted for Bush.

* 23% of gays/lesbians/bisexuals voted for Bush.

* 35% of those who'd recently lost a job voted for Bush.

(via Doug Henwood)

I must say I find the idea of a conspiracy comforting, since it's hard to fathom the election results otherwise. But I wish people would stop lightly tossing around claims about a "stolen" election and do some serious investigating before racing to conclusions. They're making it difficult for very genuine concerns about the new voting technologies to be taken seriously.

Black Box Voting is guilty of this to some degree, but the group's effort to file Freedom of Information Act requests for voting machine computer logs deserves your full support. They need money and volunteer help to pull it off, so check out http://www.blackboxvoting.org and give 'em a hand if you can.

thanks,
carrie

  • Stay F---! | November 4, Carrie McLaren, 11/05/2004