stayfree - Stay F---! | 1 June 2004

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | 1 June 2004
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:18:56 -0400

Hello subscribers,

Now that I've finally finished the Stay F---! issue #22, I'm starting to update the woefully neglected web archives.

Articles from #20 (Copyright issue) now online:

How Copyright Law Changed Hip Hop:
Interview with Public Enemy's Chuck D and Hank Shocklee
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/public_enemy.html

Why Defenders and Critics of Media Violence Get it All Wrong:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/media_influence_intro.html

The Media Made Them Do it
Just a few examples of the sick things people have done in imitation of their heroes on television and film
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/media_influence1.html

The Media Made ME Do it:
Stay F---! asked readers: have you ever imitated something you've seen on TV or in the movies? Here's what they had to say.
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/media_influence1.html

Copyrights and Copywrongs:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/siva_vaidhyanathan.html
Interview with Siva Vaidhyanathan on the "rise of intellectual property and how it threatens creativity."

::::::

Also, I want to let you know about a few upcoming events in the universe of Stay F---!:

BROOKLYN

Friday, June 4, 8 pm:

In conjunction with the Brooklyn Underground Film Festival, Stay F---! is sponsoring a screening of WIZARD PEOPLE, an unauthorized re-envisioning of HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE. WIZARD PEOPLE uses the entire visual portion of the first Harry Potter movie, but with the genius narration of Austin artist Brad Neely in place of the original sound. We think Neely has crafted an as-of-yet-unnamed new art form, one everyone should experience for themselves.

For those of you not in New York, the audio portion of Wizard People can be downloaded from Stay F---!'s Illegal Art Exhibit site:
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/wizard.html

At The NEST
88 Front Street (@Washington), Dumbo, Brooklyn
http://www.brooklynunderground.org

NOTE: If anyone knows young Harry Potter fans who plan on going to this (particularly teenagers), please let me know; we know a reporter who wants to interview them.

:::::

NEW YORK

Friday, June 11, 6 pm: Carrie McLaren will be speaking on a panel at "Media Literacy: Overseas Conversations Series," a three-day conference.

Chelsea Art Museum
556 West 22nd Street / New York, NY 1001 / 212-255-0719
http://www.chelseaartmuseum.org/events/2004/medialiteracy

Media Literacy: Art and/or Social Studies?
Panelists: Ivana Espinet, Carrie McLaren, Agustin Garcia Matilla, Robin
Andersen.

  • Stay F---! | 1 June 2004, Carrie McLaren, 06/01/2004