stayfree - Stay Free! | 18 November 2003

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | 18 November 2003
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:16:07 -0500

Hello, I just added a new page to the website:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/21/reviews.html

This is the section where we review books, movies, and other items we fancy -- namely:

* Travel Naturally magazine
* The Wyeth Pharmaceuticals calender
* Found Magazine
* When Ladies Go A-Thieving: Middle-Class Shoplifters in the Victorian Department Store, by Elaine S. Abelson
* Pootie Tang
* FeralChildren.com
* VD Attack Plan

VD Attack Plan is an amazing 1973 public service film by Disney and since it's practically impossible to find, we asked our man Skip at AVGeeks.com to digitize it. If you've got a highspeed connection, you can download the movie here:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/index.html

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

SEND THEM BACK
http://www.sendthemback.org
A BRILLIANT site urging file sharers to atone for "stealing music" by emailing all their mp3s to the RIAA.
(Thanks to Mark Hosler)

DOWNHILL BATTLE
Another great site about digital music. This one documents how the music industry--with help from Apple's iTunes--is screwing over musicians as well as fans. A smart look at the politics of filesharing:
http://www.downhillbattle.org/itunes/
(Thanks to Noah Scalin)

EXPERIAN
The Experian corporation claims to "hold more demographic and credit information on individuals and businesses than any other company in the world," and that very well may be. But what caught my eye was a new item in the company's fall catalog. Experian is now offering marketers the chance to use what it calls a "True Hipster" database. The catalog doesn't identify how Experian identified the true hipster, but from the accompanying photograph we know he wears a beige ski-cap and sunglasses.
http://www.experian.com
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/Fall03Catalog.pdf
(Thanks to Chris Hoofnagle)

'Two, Four, Six, Eight... This Pill Works Great!'
Doctors Try Placebo Effect to Boost Power Of Real Drugs; Manipulating the Patient
From the Wall Street Journal
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/wsj_placebo.html
Unfortunately, this WSJ article ignores the crucial point that if doctors are allowed to lie to patients en masse then patients will trust them even less. It also says nothing about direct-to-consumer advertising, which in itself feeds placebo effects. I wrote about this years ago, incidentally, and the argument remains quite prescient if I dare say so myself:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/16/advg_health.html

And in case you missed it:
"There's a killer haunting America's inner cities. Not drugs. Not handguns But... stress?"
By Helen Epstein
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/12/magazine/12HEALTH.html

UPCOMING STAY FREE!-RELATED EVENTS

This Friday, 11/22, from 4 to 6 p.m. - New York, NY

Distributed Creativity: A Conversation with Lawrence Lessig (Stanford
University Law School). Carrie will be on this panel with Lessig, who
will be discussing his group Creative Commons, and the creation of a
"some rights reserved" system for collecting and putting creative works
in the public domain. With Jonah Peretti, Jon Ippolito, & Joline Blais.
at Eyebeam, 540 W. 21st Street bet. 10 & 11th Avenues.
$5 public / $2 members
http://www.eyebeam.org/distributedcreativity

Sunday, 12/7, at 3 pm - Red Hook in Brooklyn, NY

Carrie will be reading at Sundays at Sunny's reading series,
along with David Rees (Get Your War On and My New Fighting
Technique is Unstoppable) and David Kocieniewski (The
Brass Wall). At Sunny's, 253 Conover St. between
Beard and Reed streets in Red Hook, Brooklyn,
Info: 718 625-8211.

12/5-12/7, 7 pm and 9 pm - Seattle, WA

Illegal Art film and video screenings at
The Northwest Film Forum's ULTRA festival
The Little Theater (608 19th Avenue East)
Watch http://www.nwfilmforum.org for updates

--
Carrie McLaren
Editor, Stay Free!

  • Stay Free! | 18 November 2003, Carrie McLaren, 11/18/2003