stayfree - Stop the FCC | Roll back June 2

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stop the FCC | Roll back June 2
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:11:38 -0400

Hi, I normally don't send out other people's spam but this is important... and it only takes two minutes! -- CM

- - - -

A message from Robert McChesney and John Nichols:

As you know, a month ago the FCC dramatically relaxed media ownership
regulations, suffocating the cornerstone of American democracy: a free,
fair, and open public debate.

Because one million Americans raised their voices against the FCC decision,
the Senate Commerce Committee recently sent a bill to the Senate floor for
a vote that would roll back many of the rules. Today the challenge is to
get that bill to the floor of the Senate and House for a vote.

Take 3 Minutes to Stop Media Monopoly: Phone It In.

Call your Congressional representatives and demand that they support the
rollback. One phone call from a constituent is more effective than scores
of email petitions.

Go to www.mediareform.net/stopthefcc and follow the easy steps or read on
for more information.

(Don't worry, you don't need to know your Senators' or Representative's
names, only your zipcode.)

"Roll Back the FCC" legislation now has 38 supporters in the Senate (out of
100). We need 51 for passage.

The House bills have the overlapping support of 65 cosponsors on HR 2462 and
146 on HR 2052. We need 216 for passage.

The www.mediareform.net/stopthefcc website will tell you if your members of
Congress are currently supporting rolling back the FCC. If they are
supportive co-sponsors, then thank them for their support and ask that they
keep the bill alive. If they not a co-sponsor, ask them to become one.
(suggested script provided online)

Want to learn more about this issue and media reform? Go to our new
organization called Free Press at www.mediareform.net.
--

  • Stop the FCC | Roll back June 2, Carrie McLaren, 07/07/2003