stayfree - Stay Free! | 7 April 2003

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | 7 April 2003
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:49:31 -0500

Posted at http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/index.html

I don't know how many of you saw this story last month but in case you missed it:

A Middle Eastern Disney World would ensure lasting
peace in Iraq by easing fear and anger among children,
according to Deepak Chopra, the popular self-help guru.
The idea is one of 10 suggestions Dr. Chopra outlines
in an essay that is to appear today in several European
newspapers.

-- National Post, March 11, 2003

Genuis, huh? As soon as I read about this, I called my buddy Jason Torchinsky out in LA and we debated Mr. Chopra's other nine suggestions. Since they are equally impressive as the Disney idea, we are reprinting part of Chopra's editorial here.

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/deepak.html

[ ... ]

2. It will, as the Benevolent Being knows, take more than the "Magic Carpet Ride" to ease tensions in the Middle East. We need to be mindful of the fact that Iraq is suffering from a severe sense of global victimization. To soothe Iraq's tired collective ego, the vitriol of the world could be turned to a smaller, weaker country that Iraq can join the rest of the world in tormenting. I suggest either Iceland or Andorra.

3. Exposure to other cultures will help ease Iraq's cultural isolation and bring its people closer to enlightenment. Therefore, arrangements will be made for large-scale celebrations of Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest, Mayday, and Bastille day with lots of free booze and costumes for everyone. And lovingkindness, too.

4. The people of Iraq need some domestic focus for their aggression. To achieve this, peacekeeping troops could issue cellphones specifically designed for in-theater use only. At the same time, UN inspectors could see that Iraqi car owners are reeducated in special centers where they will learn how to drive incredibly slow, in two simultaneous lanes, and with a turn signal constantly activated.

5. For peace to endure, healing needs to begin at home. Humanitarian aid organizations should work closely with Iraqi families to rename Muslim children with less aggressive, more compassionate-sounding names. "Mohammed" and "Mustafa" could become "Rusty" and "Dakota."

6. The countries of the world should just let them win the Olympics in 2004.

7. In a gesture of faith and solidarity, General Motors should transfer production of the Chevrolet Camaro to factories in Iraq so that the people will have a truly bitchin' ride to call their own.

8. In order to prevent future attacks on Iraq and to heal the country's spiritual malaise, Iraq will become the "World's Pound" and all newborn puppies and kittens will be immediately ferried to large, well-maintained compounds in Iraq. All children desiring puppies or kittens will then happily journey to Iraq, the land of puppies and kittens.

9. To improve the self-images of millions of Iraqi women, armies of highly trained cosmetologists will be dispatched to provide free, comprehensive makeovers. Designers such as Versace and Donna Karan should volunteer to provide Iraqi women with tighter, sexier, clothing to replace the tent-like fashions they currently endure.

10. Every Iraqi's smoothie intake will be increased by over 500% until they are all so healthy, happy, and full of balancing electrolytes they can't even sit down long enough to think about terrorizing anything.

-- Jason Torchinsky & Carrie McLaren (Jason wrote all the funny parts)

MAYOR OFFERS NAMING RIGHTS TO NEW YORK CITY

Bloomberg moves on his plan to find corporate sponsors for various New York City facilities. Grrrrr. Read about it here:
<http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/72455p-67007c.html>http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/72455p-67007c.html

And here are my arguments against Bloomberg's earlier plan to sell rights to city parks (scroll down a bit):
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/stayfree/2002-March/000030.html

What you can do to help:

Tell Mayor Bloomberg what you think of this. Call Mayor Bloomberg's chief-of-staff, Peter Madonia. His phone is 212.788.2728 and fax is 212.788.7169. Or write: Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, City Hall, New York, NY 10007. You can also email him:: <<http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mayor.html>http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mayor.html>. (But since email is easily ignored, also fax or mail your letter.)

STAY FREE! PLANS FOR WORLD DOMINATION

New York >>
Thurs. April 10, 7:30 pm - Schmio Awards. With Mark Crispin Miller, the Last Poets, Greg Palast, Richard Meltzer, Deedee Halleck, and Carrie McLaren. @ NYU's Sakland Auditorium, 421 First Avenue (at E. 24th St.) $5 students / $10 general admission. Info: Schmios2003 AT yahoo.com

Philadelphia >>
Friday, April 11, 7 pm - Illegal Art Video at the Lost Film Fest. Carrie and Alexandra will be there "representing." 4014 Walnut St (the corner of 40th and Walnut)
http://www.lostfilmfest.com/lff8/index.htm
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/index.html

Boston >>
Sunday, May 18, Illegal Art Video @ River Gods (125 River Street, Cambridge)
Hosted by Subliminal Propaganda Institute.
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/index.html

Washington, DC >>
Illegal Art Exhibit @ Resource Center for Activism & Arts, April 29 thur June 7. Opening is Friday, May 2, 6 pm. Admission is free (1611 Connecticut Ave, NW Suite 200; Dupont Circle Metro, Q Street exit; Hours are Tu, W, F: 11am to 7 pm; Thur 11 am to 9 pm; Sat. 11 am to 4 pm; closed Sun. and Mon.)
http://www.illegal-art.org

San Francisco >>
Illegal Art Exhibit @ SF MOMA Artists Gallery in July 2003
http://www.illegal-art.org

  • Stay Free! | 7 April 2003, Carrie McLaren, 04/07/2003